3800 8 rib conversion

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Looks like I need to find an extra balancer then. There's no way I'll spend a lot of dough on a good balancer. Nothing wrong with them, just don't hit the kind of revs that justify it.

Honestly have never even looked at a balancer on these cars. Surprising that the ribs are machined in, and not a pulley bolted on like the good 'ol days. Needless to say, I'm wondering if the police package Impalas may have one? It would make sense if they did.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
How about a 8MGT gates belt...? Anyone know what I mean? RPM limits on some of the pulleys...Heavy...10,000 RPMs...But lighter better balanced snout pulleys will rev to 19-23K....

A idler runs slower so if wont factor as much....But thats it...

Point is it will save on the belt slippage. It is a factor that is over looked in even the most modest applications...1-4lbs...Pending application.....Ive always seen some slippage in any modifyed configueation I ran. Nature of the beast..

Hard part is modding/adaping the balancer attatching the gates style runner...Unless you have a custom damper billet machined...BIG $$$$...

Wont be practical to toss the balance of the rotating assemble off or have to re balance cause of the extra recepricating weights...Unless the balancer can be isolated/balanced...Its possible but an unbalanced rotating mass will multipley at speed causing drag/harmonics warting off any gains generated by more boost..Not to mention abnormal bearing wear..

Adding the ring will require the damper to be rebalanced...Is this cost achievable and practical...? I also need to test the gates belts to see if they will withstand the RPMs.....I dont think they are rated for high RPM use...The smaller ones will. Not the wider....

We'llsee.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info