3800 In-car Computer System

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Ok, so im just curious whats involved in this. Can you use personal pc mother boards or do most people just buy smaller mother boards? Are there special cases to use? What type of electrical considerations need to be made, besides an DC-AC convertor? Bla bla bla.

Ive been out of the computer world for a couple years, but can keep up with the basic lingo and such. So let me know my options. I have an extra 400mhz amd pc that i put together. I dont use it anymore, so could transport it to the car, but need more info. Thanks. :)

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
ITX Motherboard
DC power supply
Composite or Svid Out
Good TFT Screen
Lots of patience

That's the formula

I would try and stay away from household components.. as much as possible... Cold weather as well as the bumps, don't mix well with most hard drives.. either solid state.. or laptop hard drives work best..

Most Inverters will pollute sound.. try and get a DC power supply.. although most will only provide about 60-70 watts... keep it simple. and small.. and you can have a nice GPS/MP3/Sytems.. that does so much more..

John

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Computer's actually run off DC. You have a 3.3V, 5V, and 12V devices inside. For the 12V it's easy; just use a filtering capacitor. For the 3.3, and 5V it's a problem, but it's doable. Especially the 3.3#V that runs the Mobo, since AMD's are finicky with voltage you'll need to stabilize the DC output of your regulator from the car's 12V supply that will fluxuate. There are plans out there on the internet for doing this stuff, and a lot of schematics for regulated power supplies from a 12V source.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I was gona try to do this with just a reg pc and my panasonic dvd player I herd they make a computer monitor plug that has rca out put so to make it simple I think you could do ac-dc comverter to pc to head unit. this would not be the cheep way but it would be cool.

Brett

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info