3800 Oil foaming after IC installl well....partial..

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I drove the car home on a 35 mile journey and took off the oil breather cap and noticed foam on the inside rim........It want coming out like a buble bath but it was on the rim/edges of the iol breather tube....

I was looking online and it says most likly a mixing a chemicals/detergents/sealents etc............Probley fuel, metal shavings, engine degreaser, etc??? :blink:

Or is this from my PCV being blocked now?....post on that latter...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Indeed, the manifold was cut on the car (No we didn't get metal into the motor :) ), but I did spray engine degreaser on the valve covers to wash down some of the metal dust. I'm betting some of that got into your breather. You'll be changing your oil andhow, so that should not be a problem.

when you blocked off the PCV passage with the IC, did you replace your oil filler cap with a breather type? if not, you may have built up enough crankcase pressure to blow a gasket and leak coolant into the oil.

if you do have a breather cap, then a bit of milky froth is normal around the filler neck and inside the cap. this is due to the cap being able to suck in cold moist air on initial start up and also condensation from within the engine that will pass thru the breather and mix with some of the oil that is circulating within your valvecover. you did not see any of this before because with a working PCV valve, all of that gets sucked into the SC.

if when you drain the oil you see that the oil coming out is milky, then you definately have a coolant leak into your oil system. it would also look milky on the dipstick too.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by 12secGTP@Nov 22 2004, 11:53 AM
when you blocked off the PCV passage with the IC, did you replace your oil filler cap with a breather type? if not, you may have built up enough crankcase pressure to blow a gasket and leak coolant into the oil.

if you do have a breather cap, then a bit of milky froth is normal around the filler neck and inside the cap. this is due to the cap being able to suck in cold moist air on initial start up and also condensation from within the engine that will pass thru the breather and mix with some of the oil that is circulating within your valvecover. you did not see any of this before because with a working PCV valve, all of that gets sucked into the SC.

if when you drain the oil you see that the oil coming out is milky, then you definately have a coolant leak into your oil system. it would also look milky on the dipstick too.
[snapback]61123[/snapback]​

Thanks Chris,

I have a breather cap on the front valve cover but not the rear...Do I need one on the rear?

We left the IM on the car and cut it out(blocked the intake from chips)...
The head gaskets and im gaskets were changed about 5 months ago..

This IC kit blocks of the PCV valve.....

I

imported_snoop

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU DO NOT NEED 2 BREATHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you are going to be this damn worried about it, why do you even touch your car/motor. change your oil, then see where you are from there. like chrys said, if no leak or IM change, then it is from condensation. THATS ALL!!!!!

RELAX!!!!!!!!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by snoop@Nov 22 2004, 12:46 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you are going to be this damn worried about it, why do you even touch your car/motor. change your oil, then see where you are from there. like chrys said, if no leak or IM change, then it is from condensation. THATS ALL!!!!!

RELAX!!!!!!!!
[snapback]61129[/snapback]​

I think he is relaxed man... He just wants to make sure his daily driver is still suitable for daily driving. :)

FWIW, the PCV system is seperated for both heads through the intake. That is why the IC cores (ours and Intenses at least) have two PCV holes; one on each side. While one breather might be adaquete, I would prefer one on each head if the system was being blocked off.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by snoop@Nov 22 2004, 12:46 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RELAX!!!!!!!!
[snapback]61129[/snapback]​

I asked and no one ever said anything about the 2 breathers!...I have seen people with 2 breathers though and was wondering.....

You need to relax.....just dont read my post if it bothers you and ruins your day that much.

Thank you to all that have helped me.

I know even the most advanced members on here still learn a thing or 2 about engines everyday..... :rolleyes:

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Talked to our auto teacher here at the school....nothing to worry about.

Its just condensation, no PCV valve, and short trips...

The car never has a chance to get rid of the moisture which would normaly go through the PCV and get re burnt in the engine.

Instead, it is forced to go through the only place it can...My front breather valve.

Its ok. That is the answer I was looking for.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info