3800 launching

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Just curious how everyone goes about it. I've lost a few races recently that I shouldnt have because of crappy launches.

I brake torque to about 1800 and then try to feather it somewhat until I know i've caught traction, since i recently learned spinning tires creates false knock.

Its just frustrating when I raced a gto, and I got a crappy slow launch but pulled on it the whole time (i've alreay beaten a gto) biut still lost due to him out launchin me by a length almost.

Just looking for some tips.

thanks

I

imported_Diavolo

feather into it slower and lower your brake torque to 1500 rpms and practice it. There is really no magic solution when street racing (unless you run around with wheelie bars all day :lol: )

I added spring blockers and motor mounts and they made a big difference.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by mybluegtp@Nov 1 2004, 07:43 PM
http://www.3800tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149
;) Good Luck.
[snapback]58881[/snapback]​

What works on the track generally doesn't work on the street (at least that has been my experience). I can do the launch and feather technique at the track and be fine. If I try that on the street it results in tire smoke every time.

The more power you get, the more difficult it gets. As stated above, try launching at a lower rpm but still feather it in.

Good luck sir.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
ive always found it best to stall it up as high as you can, and dont be to trigger happy with the gas. pop the brake, pause for a fraction of a second and then roll into it. if you have it stalled up as high as you can and pop the brake and keep the gas where it is- you arnt going to spin much if at all, then you roll into it as soon as possible. if you try to roll into it as soon as you pop the brake youll roach the tires.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I noticed that if i brake tq to 2000rpm (no more or i will slightly chirp)

let off the brake as quickly as possible, and at 2000rpm the car will jolt forwards (of course depending on how good ur tires are) then slowly slwoly slowly ease into it, and if u start to feel/hear tires chirping, let off a little and try the motion again. You may just be getting to nervous when the race is coming up, because of your opponent, the thrill of racing, or maybe he out launched you so your natural reation is to pound the accelerator to the floor. I have done it many times... it just takes practice. Go out on an open parking lot and just keep practicing. They when a race occurs, pretend he is not next to you and pretend you are at the parking lot again. Dont let it phase you if he seems to be ahead on the launch. That will just mess you up.

Hope this helps, excuse the spelling errors.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Motor mounts definately help. As the motor torques it slingshots the drivetrain, and "shocks" the tires. Having stiffer mounts will definately help launching, but it's a tradeoff for the enhanced vibrations (which really aren't all that bad). Make sure you don't use the traction control, it'll slow you down big time, if the PCM sees tire slippage it cuts timing and fuel.
And how many miles on the tires? What make and model? Tires can really make a difference. There are many different load ratings, rubber compounds, tread withs, etc. for the same size tire from different maufacturers, and this can really affect the bite you get for launching.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The Yoko's should launch pretty well. Before you go out pay attention to tire pressure, it can fluctuate a lot this time of year. I'd prolly stick with 29-30 up front and 32-33 out back for straight line running on the street, and 32-33 up front and 31-32 out back for cornering (generally is helps combat understeer to have 2 psi more in front than back). It may not be just the tires though, suspension movement, or even if it's out of alignment can hamper traction.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Nov 3 2004, 06:47 PM
yeah the converter allows me to go that high, but i was refering to the stress of a 2000rpm launch, you could launch all day like that and be ok.
[snapback]59074[/snapback]​

Yeah 2000 is pretty weak, but a lot of the stress is removed by having a looser torque converter in there. (removed from the transmission at least)

Did you have the TCC350 when you did the 12.57 run?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info