3800 need help asap, oil is milky, what to check?

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
First, big props to Blitzu for helping with the install. Everything is installed, now I have an issue.

I start up the car. There is a strong squeel, kind of like a whine. I pulled off the supercharger belt, and changed some pullies. The sound is made when the spercharger moves. well, wometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. Im not sure where the sound is coming from exactly. I took off the supercharger belt and 275 pulley (thought that was grinding), the engine sounds good at idle, but if the snout moves a little, it makes a squeel. I tried to take off the nut for the snout to check the oil, but that bastard it on TIGHT, is there a way to check the coupler? I think im the third whose asked this in the last 12 hours. The squeeling is the type that is associated with a power steering drag/screech/man i dont know. It is too loud to drive, thats for sure.

The thing is the oil is milky, there is water in it, Im not sure if that is from the coolant that leaked when we installed the IC, or what. What can cause this, what effects can it do.

How to test the heads, or seals without taking everything apart. Should I drain the oil, put new stuff in, see if that does it? Also, how can one detect coolant flow?

Any tips, things to do? The only scanner I have is a LS1M,

I have done a couple searches on clubgp, not much help looking in the past month. Only thing I came up with is a problem with head gaskets. What can I do to verify the issue.

It can idle for a while with no noise, but once boost has entered the equation?

any opinions?

Joe A
97/98gtp

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You got the Btk IC right? No PCV on that one IIRC. The squeal is from somwhere in the PCV system, it has been blocked off, and the vac from the TB is leaking somewhere.
I would immediatly change your oil. Coolant doesn't play nice with bearings. You may have just got some in during the install.

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Oct 26 2004, 03:07 PM
Not sure if this is the same squeal problem - but if you dont have a valve cover breather - it could make that noise.  To test - remove the cap and see of the noise goes away.

J.E.T.
[snapback]58306[/snapback]​

Thanks for the replys so far.
1. I do have a breather for the valve cover.
2. I was given a breather for the egr tube, but I decided to use the blockoff plates I had from zzp.
3. Ill check on a vac leak from the tb.
4. Oil is on my list to change tonight.
5. Will check lower intake manifolds if i tear down,
6. is there any way to check headgasket without a teardown?

joe a

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Oct 26 2004, 04:53 PM
no,
[snapback]58313[/snapback]​

Yes there is... Do a compression test as well as a leakdown test. If these indicate no abnormalities then you can check pressure in the cooling system. You'll also want to check oil pressure both hot and cold. Vacuum gauges will also help in determining head gasket problems.

A head gasket can blow severly or have a pinhole leak. He might just have a little coolant in his oil and still have a blown head gasket. He needs to run some tests and see what he comes up with.

Awwww heck... What city are you located in Joe. I'll take a look at it.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K+Oct 26 2004, 06:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-BumpinGTP
@Oct 26 2004, 04:53 PM
no,

Yes there is... Do a compression test as well as a leakdown test. If these indicate no abnormalities then you can check pressure in the cooling system. You'll also want to check oil pressure both hot and cold. Vacuum gauges will also help in determining head gasket problems.

A head gasket can blow severly or have a pinhole leak. He might just have a little coolant in his oil and still have a blown head gasket. He needs to run some tests and see what he comes up with.

[snapback]58322[/snapback]​
[/b]

Dont drive the car with coolent leaking in the oil!!!!!! May be the head gaskets but could most likely be a manifold leaking. From when you put the IC on.

I

imported_snoop

i think the only problem is when you took the intake manifold off you just spilled some coolant into the valley and that got mixed all up in the oil once you started the car. change your oil and you should be fine. not gaskets blown or anything major. just a simple spill that you couldnt do anything about thats all. (assuming you did change your manifold :blink: )

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 26 2004, 06:50 PM

Awwww heck... What city are you located in Joe.  I'll take a look at it.

Im in /gurnee, Actually Gages Lake, Im off of 45 and Gages lake Rd. Im having a friend come over now, hes a mechanic at a cadillac dealer in libertyville, he mosly does trans work, so ill see what he says. Ill also take pics. tonight. Im also going to take a vid, where is a good place to store vids online to host them?
if anyone is in the gurnee are1a, give me a call. Also, I work from 9-6:30pm, everyday, off on weekends.
I can be reached at 815-751-7175 or [email protected].

Hey Joe,

When we got the IC we realized quite quickly that the area where the tubes come out for the radiator were not sealed up tight so there was for sure a large vaccum leak.

It is a possibillity that the intake manifold might be leaking some coolant, but I doubt it. The breather is on it so there shouldnt be a issue with the pressure control vavle. I was waiting to see if we could get those tube vaccum leaks sealed up before going other routes.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by joeyboy777+Oct 26 2004, 07:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike K
@Oct 26 2004, 06:50 PM

Awwww heck... What city are you located in Joe.  I'll take a look at it.

Im in /gurnee, Actually Gages Lake, Im off of 45 and Gages lake Rd. Im having a friend come over now, hes a mechanic at a cadillac dealer in libertyville, he mosly does trans work, so ill see what he says. Ill also take pics. tonight. Im also going to take a vid, where is a good place to store vids online to host them?
if anyone is in the gurnee are1a, give me a call. Also, I work from 9-6:30pm, everyday, off on weekends.
I can be reached at 815-751-7175 or [email protected].
[snapback]58338[/snapback]​
[/b]

I could probably get out there Thursday. At any rate, don't worry about it that much, just don't drive the car. Assuming you removed the lower intake, snoop is probably right in that coolant just got mixed with oil during the install. It would be odd for the car to go into the intercooler install with a good head gasket and come out with a bad head gasket. :)

As for the vid, email it to [email protected] and I'll host it for you.

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Oct 26 2004, 08:42 PM
im not busy tomorrow, i might be able to come out and help ya out. i completely forgot about a compression test, i even bought one of those things from when i had a headgasket problem.
[snapback]58346[/snapback]​
Thank you for everyones help on the issue. Snoop was dead on, now I have to see what damage has come from it. I learned a few things from this.
1. ALWAYS drain the oil when you open up any area in the motor. I never saw this in any writups on doing IC's. But this is something I wish I knew before.
2. RTV the crap out of areas that may be the weakest link. For me it was the area that surrounds the outlets of the IC core, for others there may be a vac leak in the gaskets, and you may have to "butter " them up. After seeing the condition of the intake i took off, when I put on the N* TB, I used a lot of RTV again.
3. if you take off injectors, it is a good idea to have new orings. you never know if you will have one that is cracked. Blitzu cam ethrough and brought some new orings.
4. ILGPC rules, post a Q, there are a buch of people willing to help out Quick. I even got a call. :D

I now have information to check on the motor if/when I need to. As of right now, There was coolant in the oil, and I reved it a few times to see where the noise was coming from. Bad idea, but know I know. Coolant got in the cylinders, Ill moniter oil usage and do some other tests. I dont know what kind of damaged happened yet from running w/ coolant, hopefully the rings and all are good. Ill do another coolant flush tomorrow.
For compression tests, is that one of those gages with the balls? I think ive seen them at the auto store, Would they be at a NAPA/Carquest, I can just ask for it at the counter. The people at Carquest by me are cool.. I hate pepboys.

The car seems to run nice now. Ill do some scans, see how it goes.

Joe A

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by snoop@Oct 26 2004, 07:52 PM
i think the only problem is when you took the intake manifold off you just spilled some coolant into the valley and that got mixed all up in the oil once you started the car. change your oil and you should be fine. not gaskets blown or anything major. just a simple spill that you couldnt do anything about thats all. (assuming you did change your manifold :blink: )
[snapback]58337[/snapback]​

That is most likly the issue. I had alot of water in my oil when I dumped it after my IC install...

Just make sure is all.

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
Originally posted by rob+Oct 26 2004, 07:15 PM-->
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 26 2004, 06:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BumpinGTP
@Oct 26 2004, 04:53 PM
no,

Dont drive the car with coolent leaking in the oil!!!!!! May be the head gaskets but could most likely be a manifold leaking. From when you put the IC on.
[snapback]58332[/snapback]​
[/b]
either that or the block is cracked

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Oct 27 2004, 03:23 PM
Leo,
what's your shops name again? I was going to refer your shop to someone at work.
[snapback]58413[/snapback]​
Northwest Transmision
5990 Northwest HWY.
Chicago, Il 60631

773-763-8300

ask for Al or Leo

from this link with other info
http://www.ilgpc.com/forum2/index.php?show...1&st=&p=&#entry

The trannys all good now, I had some noises, but it was just a flexplate bolt. The trans is strong. I know it will handle what ill throw at it. :D

joe a

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info