3800 Pissed Off!!

First off I want to put emphasis on pissed off <_< . I just had help installing my angel eyes fog lamps (Thank you Kyle and Chris I really appreciated it I owe you two) and what happens... One of the bulbs already burnt out darn darn darn... I could not believe it. So can you already read my mind I need some help. Seeing as I have no tools and have no clue what bulbs to buy. I was wondering if someone could tell me what bulbs I could use without melting my new fogs and how I can go about replacing them or begging someone to help me replace the bulbs :) .

I also have another question. There has been a lot of talk about KYB Generation 2 struts. I need to replace my front struts and strut mounts (they called them bearing plates). The quoted me like 600 bucks to do this. The popping sound is getting worse and worse and I HATE hearing my baby make those noises. I know what you are thinking its my CV Joints nope got those replaced this summer cause everyone said that is what it was, even the darn dealership... I dont and will not have that kind of money. Does anyone on here know how to do strut work? If so where can I buy the parts the cheapest? Should I replace the rears as well while I am at it? I would be willing to pay someone to help me out. I am a poor college student and I will come up with as much as I can. I really would appreciate any help on these matters. This board and its members have been so much help already a big thumbs up to all of you... Sorry its so long...

Morgan

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Front struts are real easy, I can do them but would rather use air tools then hand tools its just faster. I'm hoping on replacing all of mine again, if you want I can sell you my front struts which only have a few miles on it I put them on in April I think, they are still good. Let me know.

Originally posted by mybluegtp@Oct 25 2004, 11:00 PM
Front struts are real easy, I can do them but would rather use air tools then hand tools its just faster. I'm hoping on replacing all of mine again, if you want I can sell you my front struts which only have a few miles on it I put them on in April I think, they are still good. Let me know.
[snapback]58173[/snapback]​

Thank you for the offer, but I would like to put all new struts and front strut mounts on to save myself headaches in the future. I also have heard good things about KYB Gen2. My boyfriend wants me to have some sort of warranty...

Will these bulbs work and do they look good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7930638502&rd=1

Originally posted by My GT The White Stallion+Oct 25 2004, 11:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mybluegtp
@Oct 25 2004, 11:00 PM
[snapback]58173[/snapback]​

Thank you for the offer, but I would like to put all new struts and front strut mounts on to save myself headaches in the future. I also have heard good things about KYB Gen2. My boyfriend wants me to have some sort of warranty...

Will these bulbs work and do they look good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7930638502&rd=1
[snapback]58176[/snapback]​
[/b]

if they are h3 bulbs then 880 bulbs will not work

paul

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
If you are looking for someone to help you install some struts on your car my brother (zeezgtp) and myself will be glad to help you out. We can do it at our place since we have all the appropriate tooling there. It will only take a few hours to do so.

If you are going to replace struts are you going to replace all four? Are you going to replace all four of your strut mounts? Are you wanting to put new springs on the car too (like lowering springs)?

KYB2’s will run you about $275 shipped from pfyc.com (that is for all four)
New Strut mounts (OEM) can run around $150 (I think…)
Lowering springs can be in the vicinity of $200

A lot of these items people have been selling and so forth, so if you want to replace these parts of your suspension then my suggestion is save money and piece meal your setup over the winter and in the spring you can install it all. If struts are all you need before winter then we can do it for ya.

Just let me know when you get the parts, and we will help you out one Saturday.

Rich

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Got my KYB's off ebay for $170 for a set of 4. You can get the strut mounts for $25 a piece at www.autopartsgiant.com. I reccomend only getting the front strut mounts and reusing the rears, I've swapped out a few of these, and have never seen a rear set go bad so far. I'm in Bolingbrook if you need help. BTW, JET (Hanover Park)has a set of four brand new for like $150 I believe.

I wrote Jet to see if he still had the struts, thank you for the info. Once I buy some struts and just the front strut mounts I will let everyone know, so we can plan some time to install them, that will work for everyone. I thank everyone for their help.

I bought some replacement fog lamp bulbs. They are APC H3 55 watt bulbs called Super White. I hope these will work. Will they work?

Morgan

I

imported_Ron Vogel

If you do the lowering springs, try and find a set of the ones that come in the GMPP kit. If you have ever lowered a car before you know the pitfalls...The GMPP springs are a good compromise, and you can usually find someone on clubgp selling them. They are availible to buy from GM, but if you can find a set someone took off the kit to replace with Eibachs or ST's you can usually get them from around $150-175.

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Oct 26 2004, 02:17 PM
If you do the lowering springs, try and find a set of the ones that come in the GMPP kit. If you have ever lowered a car before you know the pitfalls...The GMPP springs are a good compromise, and you can usually find someone on clubgp selling them. They are availible to buy from GM, but if you can find a set someone took off the kit to replace with Eibachs or ST's you can usually get them from around $150-175.
[snapback]58302[/snapback]​

At this point I do not think I want to lower it. That would be nice but the money is not there. Do I need to replace the springs when I do the struts?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

My question to you is...how many times do you want to do this? I had my struts for 4 months before they went on. I was waiting until I had new mounts, springs, isolators, and GMPP rear sway and trailing arms. If you do it, might as well get as much replaced as you can at one time.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Obviously money is an issue here so I think she is going to be limited to what she can purchase. If all you need are two new struts for your front end then my suggestion is to either get some stock replacements or purchase the KYB2's and install them.

Do I need to replace the springs when I do the struts?

No you do not need to replace your springs. You will just unbolt your struts and use spring compressors to take off your springs form your stocks and put them back on your new ones and bolt it all back up.

More often than not a lot of people just suggest to get all of the suspension parts at once so you dont have to duplicate your efforts later. If financially you cannot do this, then just get two new struts and your problem hopefully will be allieviated!

Thank you everyone for your help it is really appreciated. I think I am going to buy four KYB2 struts and the front strut mounts and replace those things for now. I wish I wasnt in college and I could afford more hopefully this summer when I am working full time. I will let you guys know when I get the parts and then when someone is free we can install them. Once again thank you everyone :) . Have a good rest of the week and weekend...

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
Just and fyi...the angel eye setup has a tendency to come loose at times if the wiring is not properly secured. You might want to wiggle the wiring behind the burnt fog light before you replace the bulb. Becareful when replacing the bulb b.c the angel eyes use a certain connector that doesn't match up with all makes of replacement bulbs. It is important the metal connectors do not touch the housing of the foglight otherwise you will have major problems.

As far as your strut dilemma goes, I would recommend doing all of this at once. I realize that you are hearing some strange sounds, however you will smile ultra wide once your car is lowered. It is a dramatic change. Besides, to do the struts you have to removed the springs anyways so you might as well either buy cheap stock replacements or buy the springs as well. Just my .02

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info