3800 Very small oil leak, help!

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Just as of recent I have noticed a couple of drops in the driveway per day. I changed the oil just recently thinking that maybe the drain plug wasnt on tight, since it seems to be coming from the front of the motor around the oil pan area. However this hasnt fixed it and it is still leaking a couple of drops per day, we arent talking much, but its still sorta scary and I would like to get this fixed.

Now today I felt behind the rear valve cover to see if it was leaking from there, and I can feel that in some areas the rubber is poking out and feels broken. Is that right?? Is it leaking from the rear valve cover? That would suck cause I just recently had this gasket put on...

Either way, oil pressure is fine and I am not losing oil as I am checking it everyday. I saw oil drops on one oil pan bolt when I was changing my oil and wiped it off to see if it would accumulate again, but didnt see anything...

I try to watch my car at idle, to see where it might be dripping from. But I dont see anything! This is really weird...

Thanks!

Joel

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Joel.. you shold not be able to feel any rubber coming from the valve cover..

The valve cover gasket must of gotten pinched during the rocker install.

BUt I did your rockers over 5 months ago.. Its odd that it would start leaking now..

Get a new gasket.. and I will replace it for you.. sorry about that..

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Hey Alex, do not worry. I had to have my rear valve cover gaskets replaced a couple of times (one time to add valvesprings, and another to fix a broken valve cover) since your install, so it was not you that did this.

Funny thing is, I cant see any oil dripping down anywhere from the valve cover! The manifolds also look clean. So how the heck does it find its way all the way down near the oil pan area and drip a couple of drops? I mean we are talking a couple of drops, not alot of oil!

Either way, I'll get a new valve cover gasket from the dealer and hook up with snoop to get it replaced sometime later this week if he's free..

I'm hoping that this is my issue, I really cannot afford to have to get the oil pan gasket replaced if it is the problem. I've read how hard it is!

Thanks man!!

Joel

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• J
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list