3800 Network question

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im moving things around so my new roommate can take the extra room. I moved my wireless router to my room so it will be closer to the printer so I can hook the printer to the network.

Ok, now I forgot that my printer connects VIA USB. I was wondering if there is a different way to connect it and print with the laptop, or if I need to get a different cable to connect it to the router.

I also am curious as to how to connect the computers to the network so I can access and swap files between them. I probably wont be able to work on it till Monday since I have to work this weekend.

TIA.

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
MOst printers are connected to a PC or Laptop using a serial cable or a usb cable.

UNless you have a printer that is used as a print server you cannot connect it directly to a router..because it will not have a network connection.

You can hook up the printer to the PC and enable print and share files option under network neighborhood properties for the NIC card. This will enable you to use the printer when connected to the network.

Easiest way to connect to the netwrok is to enable DHCP on your PC and Laptop. That way the wireless router will automatically assign IP addresses to both machines..

Also on the Pc and laptop besure to specify a workgroup if using WIN2k or XP.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
you can also go to CompUSA and buy a printserver...

ones that are USB equipped and wired (Cat5 cable) cost around $50.00...

if you are looking at getting a wireless capable USB printserver, that will set you back about $80.00...

I know, because I have been considering one for a couple of months and continue to price them...

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by alexgtp@Oct 8 2004, 07:13 PM
MOst printers are connected to a PC or Laptop using a serial cable or a usb cable.

I haven't seen a serial printer in years ... Most now adays use USB .. older use a parallel port :p

not many network solutions out there... HP had a solution a few years back... but it's pretty much died (jet direct)... network printers are not popular for "normal user" type situations... cheapest solution would prolly be a cheap PC setup as a print server...

at this point... printers are so cheap... prolly best to just each buy your own printer ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info