3800 got pulled over today

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
ok so i have a friend over and he wanted to hear what a tore up throwout bearing sounds like so we take the SS out. hes driving, the car is loud as hell, got on it a little and slowed down and drove normally for a minute or so. we get to a stop sign and behind us from down a hill comes a cop with his lights on (he couldnt have seen us when we were getting on it or doing anything illegal)

he comes to the door and flips out, says he can give us 8 tickets and proceeds to walk around the car hoping he can find something to ticket me for.

i had the wrong plates on the car, but the right one inside the car (car isnt being driven right now, its in storage and we just happened to take it out)
the plate thats supposed to be on it is a temp plate, temp plates dont have front plates to acompany them. my plate cover in the rear is tinted. and he makes us roll the windows up and they just happen to be tinted too.
luckily he didnt look through the hatch glass, because theres a 15lb nitrous bottle just chilling there.

so he tickets for improper registration.
tinted plate cover.
no front plate
and says he can ticket for the tinted windows or we strip it right there, so we sat there pulling tint off the car for 10 mins.

now the catch is he gave the tickets to my friend, who doesnt own the car.
i told him to write them in my name since its my car, and he says i wasnt driving?
none of them are moving violations, i fail to see how its the drivers fault that my car is illegal.
also a mandatory court apearance for non moving violations?
thoughts on this?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Sounds about right... your friend was driving the car... as such he takes responsibility for anything illegal with the car...

The cop couldn't ticket you because you were just a passenger...if it were a parking ticket then it'd be applied to the car and thus the cars owner... but these violations go to the driver... not the cars owner (think about it... if you're driving your parents car and get pulled over... you get the ticket not your parents... even though it's not your car)

And since he got multiple tickets (even though not moving) sounds right w/the mandatory court appearance ...

if it was just 1 ticket then you'd be able to send it in and get off... but w/multiple vehicle violations ... they want you to prove that the vehicle you're driving is in compliance

The...the law system preatty much sucks!
But man! Why did you rip the tint off??!?! I would of said give me the ticket...it cost me a preatty penny to get my windows tinted...the cost of getting it redone is more then the ticket....that guy was a dick though....you probally wooshed pass him when he was eatting a dougnut...lol!....but cops now a days think there president.....there on a power trip...which is bogus....assholes

Tom

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Originally posted by xttc2000@Oct 6 2004, 08:31 PM
so as a technician, i can take a customers car on a test drive and if it has tints or anything illegal- i am responsible?

thats pretty bogus.
I'm not sure how that would work, but I imagine if the cop wanted to be a jerk about it, he could hold you responsible for it. When I first started my job, I used to pick up from the local vendor we order from every day. Well, 3-4th day that I was there, I get pulled over in the company van. The plates were expired, and then I couldn't find any proof of insurance anywhere. Well, the boss paid for the tickets (proof of insurance wiped out the one ticket), but I had to go on court supervision for 3 months because of the expired sticker. :mellow:

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
the tint is only pulled off from 2 windows, id rather have it redone and not have the ticket on my record for next time i get pulled over.
im sure i can get it done for 75-100 anyway, which is what the ticket would cost.
it had scratches in it too, so it was time for new tint.

the cop was at least a couple blocks away. we were on some side streets and turned left onto the main road around here. he came from way behind where we got onto the main road from.

either way its bogus, how can someone not like american muscle?
most cops look at the car give me the thumbs up and want me to rev it or launch it for them.

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
steve, at the court date, make sure that your friend has a picture of the plate before and after with no cover on it, and that wil get thrown out. So will the other ticket as long as you show some proof that the problem was fixed, they will usually cut you a break, especially f he specifies that it wasnt even his car, thay will be thrown out, unless the judge is a dick, but thay arent that bad. so just show proof in the form of an actual photograph and it should 80% get thrown out with no $$$ involved.

I got busted for expired insurance and obstructed view with my air freshener hanging off my mirror, when i got caught "almost street racing" in schaumburg remember Leo me vs. that TSI. All I did was show up with a valid insurance card, and a pic of the inside of the car with no obstructions and i was free to go with no $$$ to pay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info