3800 Well my engine is done... :(

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Got the word back from my mechanic... so far i have a broken head gasket... cracked heads.. and scoring marks on the inside of the cylinders... i think thats what he said.. i cant think straight.... anyways ill see whats going on but it looks like dropping a new l67 engine into her is whats gonna happen... well ill be here.. depressed but around....

heres the whole story...

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php...c4a351f5034696e

I

imported_snoop

dude, who is this mechanic you are using. there is no way at all possible that you had all that damage done just by your belt slipping off. think about it, i dont know how you are with car or your knowledge, but how do you crack a head just by the belt slipping off unless you had some major issues before that you ignored. i think someone is trying to get over on you because of how scared and nervous you are about your baby(the car). BUT, did you watch your temp gauge at all after the belt came off. if you let the coolant get to hot then the gasket will go and then you will have some issues. do you remember what you temps where at.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Well he talks on the other thread about his coolant light going on, the coolant gauge being all the way up, and his coolant hose being drained flat.

So yea, your head gasket probably cracked/blew and allowed coolant to pour into one of your cylinders. Since water can not be compressed very easily it probably put too much pressure into the cylinder, detonated, cracked a piston. Piston flopped around hit the head and scored the cylinder.

I guess the only real good news is that you couldnt have done much more damage. Maybe a bent oil pan and a bruised crank.

Also, its a some what known problem for our idlers and tensioner pulleys to break. I havent heard of them bending before, but definitely breaking. Which tends to leave people stranded, but if you keep driving on it then what happened to you could happen to anyone. If you are ever driving around again and the coolant temp gauge starts nearing the top, pull over and turn the car off immediately. Even if your late somewhere and only only a block away. Its better to be late than to be need a new engine.

Anyways, good luck with the rebuild. And make sure the mechanic uses vaseline with his bill. ;)

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by HEAVYKEVY@Oct 4 2004, 09:54 PM
Got the word back from my mechanic... so far i have a broken head gasket... cracked heads.. and scoring marks on the inside of the cylinders...
Kev-
You've gotten a lot of good advice from the GS page. If you aren't interested in following any of it have your mechanic friend (who btw is trying to gouge you) replace any broken pulleys and put a new belt on. Go over there and try to start it. Chances are it'll run a little rough for awhile but get it home and get someone from this board to go over it for you. Dont forget to tip em too as he'll probably save you a ton of dough from avoiding the dealer. It's possible that you may have cracked a head cuz the motor got so freakin hot w/out a h20 pump but stock GS heads are cheap (pizzagtp has some). GL and dont shit can that car yet.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
oh that car isnt going to the can yet :D its gonna be with me for a looong time... and yeah about just slapping on a pulley and startin it up... i was there when we did that and it did turn over and ran rought..... did some tests.. confirmed damage... opened up the engine and there are 2 scoring line that you can easily run ur fingernail through... and yeah i learned my lesson...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info