3800 Rear Brakes 101

12secGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Des Plaines
i could look up the torque specs for you if you need...
going by what you say in above... that is not very good. you should have even wear on all your pads. fronts wear faster than rears but you should not have unusual wear from side to side. this tells me that there is air in the lines, a line is clogged up or you have a hose that is going bad and ballooning.
I would DEFINATELY bleed the brakes after you change the pads. as a matter of fact, if I were you, I would do a whole fluid flush.

other than that, brakes are pretty straight forward.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Lee-

The process is pretty easy, you will be suprised!

1. After you remove the wheel the first thing to come off will be the caliper.
2. There are two bolts on the back side of the caliper.
3. Once the caliper is off you can pull off both brake pads.
4. Once the brake pads are removed, you can now un-bolt the brake pad bracket.
5. There are also two bolts on the backside that remove this.
6. Once that is removed the rotor should come off with ease.

You should not have to bleed any brake lines as long as you keep the brake line attached to the caliper. Hopefully I haven't missed anything :D

Here are some torque specs for the bracket and caliper.

For the Rear Only:
Bracket Bolts: 92 ft. lbs.
Caliper Bolts: 32 ft. lbs.

Here are the Fronts in case you need to do those soon...
Bracket Bolts: 137 ft. lbs.
Caliper Bolts: 63 ft. lbs.

Good luck
-Rich

I

imported_snoop

dude, just take off the 2 screws for the caliper and the caliper braket. take the pads off and the rotor off. get some disc brake quiet and spray it on the back of the pads and then just put back together. dont worry about torqueing anything cuz its gonna be harder than what it has to be to get a torque wrench in there. just tighten up the bolts and call it a day.

I

imported_GraFFix

you also need to compress the caliper piston to allow fo the new pads to slip over the rotor when reinstalling.

First you unscrew the cap on the brake fluid reservoir under the hood. then what I do is use the old pad thats on the back of the caliper and a C clamp and just tighten it up untill the piston is fully compressed. then take the old pad off and replace with the new pads.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info