3800 cammed?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Well as you know my tranny is pretty much shot... after getting a new/rebuilt tranny, (when i DO get it) i am contemplating whether to go Cammed or not. I have always wanted to, but since the mileage was high, i figured "why?". I could sell these rockers for some cash and stock rockers. Then i can get a stage 2 cam with all the fixings, (springs and such). Lets say that price is not a problem.

I know it is up to me obviously, But what are all your views on it?

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by syP@Sep 27 2004, 09:17 PM
I know it is up to me obviously, But what are all your views on it?
Cammed L67s rock...might as well get some heads to go along with it though. Expect to drop around 1psi from decent cam. The price of parts isn't the problem...it's the install labor that's expensive.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
you're young, and i dont mean that in a bad way.
but youll probobly be bored of the car relatively soon anyway and want something different (i know i change cars every 4-6 months). your car is pretty fast as it sits, and the money you save you could put towards something else when you get bored of this one (might even be a newer GTP, or GTO)

You know what...i would keep your gtp for a while...cause if you go out and get a trans am or camaro...and the age you age, your insurance is gonna rip you a new ass hole.....not to mension your car payment.....i did all the research...a'll admit my first choice was a z28...to a ss.....well it was down to a z28 cause an SS would raise my insurance big time....now, the z28 was still way high....so i started lookin again. Came to a srt-4...i loved it...too bad i couldn't afford 400 bucks for a car payment...oh well..so i went looking again..and that when i found a nice looking GP GTP....i wanted nothing but the supercharged gp...i got one for a great price...and the insurance wasn't WAY high...i was happy...
And now...i have my GTP...Next is the GTO HEHEHEEH

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'd get the VS cam personally, it'll work well with what you already have. I like the 1x too, but the VS seems to be making more power for people. Either way, if you do a cam don't bother with the GPS or 3800 performance cams, there are people with stock cams and rockers making more power than them. You can make a killer combo with just a rockered car. Just need the IC...

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
ok so your heart is already set on a GM muscle car. but you love your GP.
fix the trans, work on the knock issue, and keep it around as long as you can the way it is. save every penny that would go into it and put it down on the car you really want and keep the GP as a daily driver.

now heres another thing to think about- you are going to college next year, do you like to eat? do you like going out with females?
you will need every penny you can save once you go to college- and if you make it out with a nice little savings fund you can comfortably buy your dream car.

i dont know, maybe i sound like an old man- but ive made my share of mistakes and am giving you honest advice. and thats all it is is advice, you can take it or leave it :)

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I'm going to have to agree with xttc on this one, save your pennies now. If you need to spend money, spend it on fixing the problem aspects of you car (Tranny, KR issue) so you have something to drive. Then when you get a job and get comfortable on the money front, buy that dream car or mod away :D

You are still young and will have plenty of time to own cars you've always wanted...

BUT if you had to get a cam right away...VS Cam gets my vote :ph34r:

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
kinda in the same boat as you. Mycar has 90k on it and I now am out of college making some real good money.

I hope in the spring to buy a TA.

I want to get heads from 00 SS GTP and get the stage 1x cam..........

The problem is the $$$$ for the trans when it goes boom.

So Im thingking of saving the 2000 or so for my TA or something....who knows :blink: :unsure: :(

I love the look on peoples faces when the see a GTP taken off. No one expects it.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
be sure you have decided what you want to do if you go with a cam. If you plan on staying with the m90 or movingup to an mp112 you need to get a different than if you decided to go with a turbo. If you are going the intense tranny route you might as well shoot for the stars as the tranny will be the most expensive single item you buy. So if you are opening up the engine you might as well get L32 connecting rods and have those installed. With a cam and heads you will be in the low 12's without an issue, and having the improved rods you will add a little security to the package.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info