3800 Short Stack Intercooler??

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
The SS IC would be good if your not going very far with the car. IE....what do you want to run at the track? If you dont want to go much faster, then you can put on the SS and drop .1-.2" pulley size. If you want to go fast, then go with either the ZZP IC or the ILGPC IC... The one on that site is the ILGPC ic if not a very close replica.

Bumpin did that tweety bird mention any price or are people still looking at another $1200 IC <_<

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by zeez gtp@Sep 23 2004, 10:26 PM
do research, seems alot of people have problems with vac leaks with this ss i/c.
I was a big advocate of switching to the sandwich style (easily replaceable cores) before hearing this. It seems they are a really PITA to seal sometimes. Most of the time they're trouble free however.

If you're going to get a ZZP, save up and get the Stage II, or get ours. I have a handfull of people running our "kit" on some heavily modified cars, one of which was prior only able to run a 3.25" pulley to my recollection, now running a 2.7, healthily.

I'm running a 3.0 on stock rockers, stock heads, cam, manifolds, blower, exhaust (no U-bend/ 2.5" DP) with 0 knock and pulling 104 - 105mph traps with the ILGPC core. The car gets faster every day.

The ZZP unit is also a really nice unit, but you're paying $200 more for it. Some will say it's worth it; others will say it's not. I say it's not worth debating until we're all blue in the face. That's why we're picking up some competition cores to compare.

No matter what intercooler you get, you'll be able to dial in more fun. It's just a matter of how much more fun. :)

(Edited for Grammar)

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I saw those posts on ClubGP regarding the SS I/C vac leaks. I believe the only reason some people had vac leaks with the SS I/C was because it was installed incorrectly or they re-installed something incorrectly when putting everything back together, after re-installing the I/C correctly or fixing any issues that had occured during the install they were able to fix their vac leak problems.

Anyways, While there might be a few people who have had bad experiences with this I/C, there are the others who are running this I/C and getting absolutely 0 knock with a 3" pulley. I would say thats a good bang for the buck mod, considering its only 549$ and cheaper than headers at the moment...

If you had the money to spend, I would definitely go with the larger size intercoolers (ZZP Stage 2 or ILGPC). But if you only have 600$ to spend, I would get the SS I/C over headers any day. Headers are sorta a ripoff for our vehicles, at almost a grand for TOGS its outrageous, unless you can find a good deal for them used. When the market gets even larger for us, I hope headers go down in price. Because when I finally go the cam route I will unfortunately have to give in and get headers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info