3800 BOP Day at Cordova 10/9/03

bracketracer

Jun 20, 2008
I hope I'll be seeing you other ILGPC folks at Cordova on 10/9. As long as it isn't raining, my wife and I will make the 200 mile drive from Madison for the third time this year. I am trying to convince her to race our GTP in the SC3800 class and I'll race the Sunbird in the money class, but I don't think she really wants to. If I can't convince her, then I'll run the GTP in the SC3800 class, and see how the new pulley helps (thanks again Paul!)

Later!

So can some one fill me in on what this is. I'm from southern IL and race at Gateway but i'd like to maybe try this as some thing different. Also if i could talk some of the members of STL.CGP to go maybe we could all meet up before and after the races. Then we could all talk about the STL. Cardinals and how they are going to win the World Series. lol...J/K :lol:

bracketracer

Jun 20, 2008
Here's the important info:

17th Annual Buick, Olds, Pontiac race at Cordova Dragway.
Saturday Oct. 9, 2004 (rain date Saturday Oct 16, 2004)
Gates open at 9:00, Time Trials at 9:30, Eliminations at 1:30

Car & Driver - Test N Tune $15
Car & Driver - Trophy Class $20
Car & Driver - Cash Race $35
Adult Spectator $8
Kids 6 - 12 $3

Test N Tune is self-explanatory. Last year they broke Trophy class down to Trophy - Pontiac, Trophy - Buick, & Trophy - Olds, with a run-off amongst the winners. Cash Race classes are "BOP No Box Street Tire" & "BOP No Box Race Slicks" (Winner of each $100, R/U $75, & Semis $50), "Quick 8" (Winner $100, R/U $50), & most important to most of us:

SC3800 Showdown (winner $100, R/U $50) Slicks, intercollers, headers, etc. all welcome.

Overall "King of the Hill" run-off between winner of BOP Street, BOP Slick, Quick 8, and SC3800 Showdown, with $200 to the winner.

Bring up as many folks from further south as you can get, the more the merrier! As long as the weather isn't threatening I plan to be there. This is the same track that we raced at for the GPG, but I anticipate better track prep this time due to the number of cars running slicks. They seem to prep better for faster RWD cars. They seem to think (incorrectly of course) that we don't need as much track prep to hook up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Later!

bracketracer

Jun 20, 2008
Well, I hope it's not just going to be Paul & I (no offense Paul, we'd just have to race each other way to early!). Is anybody else coming? It's a great opportunity since they have a specific SC3800 class. I'm betting that traction will be better than we had at the GPG too, due to the presence of more RWD cars with slicks (they'll hopefully be more generous with the VHT, and farther out). The weather is supposed to be great too, so maybe it will be good for some records to be set.
Speak up if you'll be there.

Later!

bracketracer

Jun 20, 2008
Hale,
Glad to hear you'll be there. You shouldn't worry about being the slowest by any means. That should be my distinction. Since my only mod is the 3.4" pulley, I'm just hoping to beat my personal best when the car was bone stock (14.3). I was hoping for cool, dense air, and a tail-wind that day, but the forecasts call for light wind out of the NNE (offset head-wind from the driver's side). The temp isn't supposed to get above the 60's though, so that's good. See you there!

bracketracer

Jun 20, 2008
OK, repeat after me. ALL HAIL HALE!

Unfortunately there were a total of 4 cars in the SC3800 class. There would have been 5, but the guy with the '98 Regal raced in Trophy instead.

I'll let Paul explain what happened to him. I had a great time despite breaking out to Hale in the final (2nd round). I did it with my best ET ever (14.034), even on the brakes so I'm happy. It's sad that I had to have my wife drive to get the best mph ever (97.57) and the best RT of the day (.060). She may be deadly someday as the regular GTP driver, while I race the Sunbird!

Maybe Hale should keep showing up exhausted if that's what it takes to knock out the field!

Glad to see those few of you who were there, and hope to see more next time.

Later!
Joe

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Originally posted by gtphale@Oct 7 2004, 10:11 PM
I'll be there racing, Won't be a very fast car unfortantly since the block won't be done,but should be a strong bracket car.
Hehehe called that one. ILGPC owned yesterday. I won the 3800sc class and Joe took runner up. Then I went to the king of the hill and won that also. Got to really nice trophy's and 300 in cash. Turned out to be a great day. Car ran within a .1 all day long. Thanks to the Black Hawk chapter for putting on such a great event.

Seen Arnie and he is doing pretty good. Finally feeling good enough to hang out work on the car and chat up a lot. It was great meeting Joe and Gayle again Just kidding Jean.

bracketracer

Jun 20, 2008
Since Hale didn't elaborate on his dominant performance, I will.

NATURALLY, he took out Paul in round 1. :lol: How did that go again? Just teasing you Paul, you've won plenty this year! And we still haven't raced each other. How does that happen in such a small class?

In the final, I should have just stayed on the gas to see my first 13 second time slip ever. I treed him, but he was right on his number, so I wasn't going to beat him. He only broke out by .003.

In round 1 of King-of-the-Hill he knocks off a Pro car running in the high 7s at over 170 mph. I don't remember how close that one was. Then in the final he ran his number dead-on with a 0, and had, I believe, an .021 light. That is a professional caliber "bracket racing package." Anything that adds up to less than .050 is damn good, and you don't see it often in a "foot-brake car." Apparently Hale's opponent is a regular bracket racer there, based on what the announcer was saying, so I'm sure he was shocked to get beat so bad.

Congrats again, the win was much deserved!

Later,
Joe

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info