3800 Rocker install question

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Ron with rockers you just torque them down to 11lbs plus an additional 90 degrees. I think the GEN 3 have a diff torque spec.. they added in the additional 90 into their figures..

ONly if you have adjustable rockers do you need to set TDC for each cylinder..

I

imported_Ron Vogel

That's too damn easy...Since hearing people have ticking off the bat, I plan on soaking the rockers in oil for a day before the install. Seems to me that the needle bearing may take a long time to get fortified with oil after an install. Got new gaskets for the valve covers, is it neccessary to run a light bead of RTV, or is it just a waste? I had a bad VC leak, that ended up getting fixed under warranty, just don't want to do this a second time.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 23 2004, 10:38 AM
That's too damn easy...Since hearing people have ticking off the bat, I plan on soaking the rockers in oil for a day before the install. Seems to me that the needle bearing may take a long time to get fortified with oil after an install. Got new gaskets for the valve covers, is it neccessary to run a light bead of RTV, or is it just a waste? I had a bad VC leak, that ended up getting fixed under warranty, just don't want to do this a second time.
Ron, I too was accustomed to turning the motor for each rocker, however this is not needed with hydraulic lifters as I understand it. Don't worry about dunking them in oil. I put mine in dry and just poured some oil over them before zipping it all back together. For the 18 hours that they were in, I had no noises. :)

I wouldn't worry about the valve cover gaskets either. Your replacments should be fine without RTV.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list