3800 NETWORKING question

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Hey guys... i am setting up a network at my friend house.. since it went bonkers the week before.

They have a cable mode, shared on two floors via Apple Airport which is windows compatible 100%.

Ok, on the first floor (downstairs) is the cablem modem, base airport extrememe, connected to the main Apple PC hardwired... that is not the wireless connection.

There is also a laptop on that floor that connects to the downstairs (main) base station. The internet works, and the laptop is a windows PC.

Upstairs the main base station will not reach, so they have another airport extreme. However, none of the upstairs computers (2 windows pcs) cannot see the upstairs Base station... The upstairs base station is a relay or a remote station from the downstairs one, to essentially strengthen the signal.

MY QUESTION IS

on the main hardwired Apple computer, running the airport admin (basically the same thing as typing 192.168.1.1 for linksys routers) I can view only 1 base station. the downstairs one in which the apple computer is hooked up to. I cannot see the upstairs base station. How do i "add" essentially the upper base station?

now here is the thing, this setups has worked before, but just recently it has stopped transfering internet, and the computers upstairs have the ip address of 169.254..... thus no internet connection. As i look on the main apple computer that is hardwired to the downstairs base station, i see a 10.0.0.1 (which is the downstairs MAIN airport base station) usually i should see a 10.0.0.2 under that labeled "Upstairs Base station" becuase that was there a few weeks ago.

Keep in mind this program is run on a macintosh, so i need people to tell me how to use it on a mac... not a pc. If it was a PC i wouldnt have this problem. Linksys is so much easier to use :/

one more thing to add..... when i go to the properties on the network cards for the wireless connections... i can view the downstairs network signal, but not the upstairs signal...

So i moved the upstairs AIRSTATION to the downstairs... so basically the two stations were literally 6 feet apart. From there i could view the Main station and the upstairs station. But i could only get a valid ip address (10.0.0.3) and an internet connection off the MAIN(downstairs) air station... when i tried to connect to the Upstairs base station (which is now next to me 6 ft away from the base station) i do not get an interenet connection, signal, nor internet.

Thankyou in advance.
Ryan

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
SYP TCP/IP is the same for any type of system unix..mac or windows.

BE sure you have TCP/IP enabled on all the PC's and not just the appletalk protocol.
It seems to me that the bases are on different subnets.

Also the downstairs PC is hardwired to the WAN CABLE Modem?
Or is the WAN cable modem connected to the airport extreme and than the to the pc?

By using the AirPort Setup Assistant this should configure everything for you.

If not manually assign a static IP to the bottom airport extreme on the WAN side (should be the IP addy that the cable modem assigned to the working PC) Than on the LAN side enable DHCP..this should than automatically assign the downstairs base and PC's and also upstairs base station an IP and all the other PC's upstairs also.

Be sure to relase the existing IP addy and than renew at the dos prompt. Hopefully it should pick up the new DHPC boradcasts and assign new ones that are in the same subnet..

DAMN MACINTOSH!!LOL!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• syP
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list