3800 a few questions re: my KR

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
i have a few questions...

- I went to firestone to get something done on the car, and they said i had a bad serpentine belt... i believe the serp belt spins the water pump... does that have anything to do with coolness....?

- if my KN 9" filter is dirty.. can that have something to do with KR... ie: not letting in enough air?

- What about flushing my radiator?

- Im running autolite 104s gapped at .54 now... anything wrong there possibly?

- Would you suggest the Shell V-Power gas, or are all 93 octane essentially the same?

- I know this sounds dumb... but i did really notice a huge gain in engine heat when i took off the heat trapper on the underside of the hood... that carpet thingy. It was suggested that i am becoming heat soaked becuase the heat bounces off the underside of the hood thus pushing it back to the engine?

If anyone can answer questions to any of these... that would be really helpful

Thanks
Ryan

are those plugs gapped low, or are you supposed to gap them that low with a 3.25? i know mine are gapped at .57 but i have a 3..4

headers should help, but i doubt that will clear up all your kr.

get that serpentine belt. easy fix. wont have to worry about it anymore.

clean the airfilter, you get a better response, rpm's go a little farther, don't know if it will take away lots of kr. i doubt it is that dirty to be blocking air.

keep that heat thing off if it worked for you.

gas, who knows. i fill up with whatever from shell, to bp, to meijer. whatever i am closest to, i fill it up with that.

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
If you run too large of a gap with a small pulley.. you will blow out the spark with the boost.. you just gotta play with it.. the gap you pervs.. to figure out what your car likes.. all cars are different..

if you want.. I can scan your car again... a bad batch of gas could be a culprit...

have you changed your plugs yet? remember the ones that came with the car.. and you didn't know how long they were in there?

and hopefully you didn't pay those people at firestone to change your belt... I am sure they got you good.. if you did..

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
SYP,

GO back to a 3.4"
you will make more power.. than your 7+ degrees of KR on a 3.25.

Wait to for more mods til you can run a 3.25"

BTW are you sure it is true KR or false KR?

HOw many miles on the motor?
Older motors tend to knock more.

I see in general 4-5 degrees just because my motor is tired..
also check the knock sensors i saw a thread on clubgp about cleaning them ..one guy did and it reduced his 5 degrees to 0..

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Originally posted by ThaLord@Sep 21 2004, 07:30 AM
If you run too large of a gap with a small pulley.. you will blow out the spark with the boost.. you just gotta play with it.. the gap you pervs.. to figure out what your car likes.. all cars are different..

if you want.. I can scan your car again... a bad batch of gas could be a culprit...

have you changed your plugs yet? remember the ones that came with the car.. and you didn't know how long they were in there?

and hopefully you didn't pay those people at firestone to change your belt... I am sure they got you good.. if you did..
It was my car before syp had it, the plugs were probably only on 1000 miles before ryan picked up the car. The reason i had been running a 3.25 is for the reason that it was running no kn when i had the car. Hale and i both did the autotap and took it out for multiple runs.

Ryan--i would at the very least take out the plugs and take a look at them. A couple can loose their gapping, and you can also tell how your car is running by the condition of the plugs. Also clean the K&N just for prevent. maint. I did it every oil change. The radiator fluid was flushed no more that 6-7000 miles ago depending on what kind of milage you put on that car this summer. Trans fluid could probably use replacing. Like alex said, the kn sensors maybe screwed up. That car is getting older. And the only other thing is that i've heard people that put in shift kits actually sometimes get increased kn. Not sure why, but it's been a trend.

Goodluck man!

John

I

imported_snoop

Originally posted by xttc2000@Sep 21 2004, 03:05 PM
most of it is probobly false knock. the shift kit and motor mounts will cause false knock. all the vibrations and hard shifting confuse the knock sensors
what he said

another thing to look at is your IPW(injector pulse width). what are those at. it might be you are maxing out your injectors my friend. what do those read cuz you might be a little lean if so. fuel filter. is the knock sensor plugged in(both). ummm, what else. how does the car idle/run. is it normal. scan again and look at the IPW's. is your tranny dipstick loose at all. these are some of the things. look for stupid stuff first instead of jumping to something major cuz it is prolly something very minor. and i always use shell gas. i love that shit. i know i prolly just repeated everything everyone just said, but take what everyone is sayin into consideration, but it just might be false dude.

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
I am the one who scanned his car.. and I know what to look for..

It is for sure real knock.. I know the difference between real and false knock.. IPW's were not static... and his o2's we running about 930 or so..

I was the first person to say to try the cheap fixes first.. lower temp tstat.. better gas.. and rescan..

I have scanned many cars.. and been doing it a long time.. so.. I know what to look for.. plus.. I scanned it with a tech 2.. so.. I would say it is pretty accurate.

When I was running similar mods.. I was seeing about 5 degrees of knock.. every car is different.. and.. on that day.. he was seeing between 8 and 11 degrees of knock..

John

I

imported_snoop

Originally posted by ThaLord@Sep 21 2004, 08:17 PM
I am the one who scanned his car.. and I know what to look for..

It is for sure real knock.. I know the difference between real and false knock.. IPW's were not static... and his o2's we running about 930 or so..

I was the first person to say to try the cheap fixes first.. lower temp tstat.. better gas.. and rescan..

I have scanned many cars.. and been doing it a long time.. so.. I know what to look for.. plus.. I scanned it with a tech 2.. so.. I would say it is pretty accurate.

When I was running similar mods.. I was seeing about 5 degrees of knock.. every car is different.. and.. on that day.. he was seeing between 8 and 11 degrees of knock..

John
dude, just by reading that, did you take offense to what i said. if you did, how ever you took it, it was wrong. i was just saying look for this and that. just giving some info. if it was you that scanned the car, ok. i know you have scanned NUMEROUS cars before. didnt mean to offend you if i did. calm down boss. i'm gonna go back in my hole now...... :(

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
I only scanned him once.. during one day.. so.. of course there was no race fuel...

It was not false.. because:
scanned several times.. throughout day.. same results..
False KR doesn't come down.. with decreased timing.. meaning.. when timing was being cut.. knock was going down.
Knock gradually increased.. until timing was pulled..

False knock doesn't decrease with timing decrease.. and False knock usually comes in blips.. and doesn't gradually rise..

What I mean... it isn't proportional to the amount of comanded timing.. that is real knock.

and. no way am I pulling his knock sensors.. once it comes to mechanical work.. I leave that to the people who know how to do it....

I have scanned enough cars.. to know the difference.. and.. although race fuel.. would be a good way to rule it out.. I am pretty confident in what I said..

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
i didnt know who scanned it so i just threw that info out there.

now i dont doubt there is knock on that setup, the exhaust isnt flowing nearly what it should be. a cheap think you can try is a heatshield under the throttle body. being that the crossover is right there you get a TON of heat coming up onto the TB and heating the incoming charge.

has anyone tried running a cool can on the fuel side yet? i know a lot of old timers do it on their cars, cooling fuel does help. we had a car on the dyno with a stealth nitrous setup on it and it would purge into the fuel tank, if we purged into the tank and ran the car without spraying it would pick up 5-10hp on average with the cooler fuel.

when was the last time you cleaned your air filter? a dirty airfilter could be restricting the incoming air.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
im a firm beleiver that gas is gas.
it all comes down the same pipeline, and they all use essentially the same additives.

go to a state down south and try their gas out, thats where youll see a major difference. the 10% ethanol they put in kinda kills it, you dont see that in other parts of the country

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by xttc2000@Sep 23 2004, 12:39 PM
im a firm beleiver that gas is gas.
it all comes down the same pipeline, and they all use essentially the same additives.

go to a state down south and try their gas out, thats where youll see a major difference. the 10% ethanol they put in kinda kills it, you dont see that in other parts of the country
I have to dissagree, on are way to GPG 02 somewhere between Kansas city and some other state I was running my GT with 93 and it ran like a champ. I was running low on gas and had to fill up and they only had 91 and the car ran like shit i could not go over 50mph cause the car would run like crap. I say gas is a huge factor in getting rid of KR, and performance, but if you plan on going with 100 at gas city station they you will be broke.. :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info