3800 Trans is taking a dump

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The trans is showing more signs of failing. Now it doesn't like to shift into the next gear w/o letting off the gas. I turned off my performance shift, and am driving mellow now, and it seems like it may go for a bit more still. My best hunch is that I have some sticky solenoids in there, and the full on line pressure my CYA PCM is giving has lodged something open. AT WOT the trans feels the same as it always had, but normal driving is not so good. Too bad we're buying a new car for my wife today, I could use the money for a new trans. Any snake oil that's worked good to aid the limping along process? I thought I remembered a brand a few people use.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Can the trans come out w/o pulling the motor? What are the major things that need to be removed for pulling the trans? I'm thinking of buying another trans to build on the bench, then swapping it in. I may even send it out for a fresh build. My uncle (the funny car driver) is in town this weekend, we may pull a few favors. I didn't realize I had some relitives in the industry (for one my second cousin is Bob Dyer of Dyer's blower service). I may be able to get something with the royal treatment. B)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by superchargedgp@Sep 20 2004, 09:58 AM
u have to drop the sub frame to take the trans out without removing the motor
Sounds like I'll need a lift. I dropped a Honda motor and transaxle from the cradle before. Got the car low, and then got the motor/trans on the floor, then jacked up the body. Had my dad pull the whole shebang under the front as I lifted up the front end high enough to get it all out then put the car back on the jack stands. With the motor out I could lift the honda front end pretty easy by holding on to the bumper, but I suspect the GP won't be that easy.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Yea, Ive been hearing alot of bad things about the c-ya trans. Im starting to worry.

Well at least I have all the new proper componants: imput shaft, single transverse chain and sprockets, sunfire converter, 3.29's, and a new VB. At the very least, all I can forcast is the clutch packs....I sucks that all these guys are having trouble with these trannies.

What did Johnny O find wrong with his trans? Is it the same as yours Ron?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, I had to take a 4 hour lunch today to buy a Pacifica for my wife. Didn't act up at all. I think it's a sticky solenoid for sure. I may just swap a new solenoid in there and deal with the trans in the spring. It did the same thing yesterday; went out to dinner when it was cool out and it started shifting bad, turned off the car for a few and then it drove fine. Weird. I'm leaving perf shift off all the time until it's taken care of.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by sr71_rgl@Sep 20 2004, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Ron is running a stocker trans. I think J/O had problems with the stock VB in his *rebuilt* trans and his CYA diff exploding.

What's the advantage of running a SunFire convertor?
Its a higher stall...Seems pretty good but I havent put it too the full test yet.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by rob+Sep 20 2004, 05:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rob @ Sep 20 2004, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sr71_rgl@Sep 20 2004, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Ron is running a stocker trans. I think J/O had problems with the stock VB in his *rebuilt* trans and his CYA diff exploding.

What's the advantage of running a SunFire convertor?
Its a higher stall...Seems pretty good but I havent put it too the full test yet. [/b][/quote]
dont do it... :ph34r:

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Well we'll see I guess. I cant exactly remember what it was out of. Recolecting, it MAY of been for a 465E or Trans am conveter. I have the box and will take a look. I dont know whysun fire pops in my mind. I think Hale and I were discussing it.

Ive driven this converter and like it thus far cause its mild mannered on the street. I cant even tell the diff from the stocker at this time. Its only couple rps more anyway.
After I get the motor broke in I'll get in its ass and see. If I dont Like it im going to the stock converter to keep the low end to the ground. You all may want to line up and give some shit for it but the stocker is good enough for an 11 sec anyway. Why suffer on the street? Power on demand.

GTPSpecEd01

Sep 20, 2008
I had to have my trans worked on under warranty, no mods or anything. Just died at a light. They replaced some easy to reach items....but they tested and said it shifted harsh. Then they moved onto replacing internals. I am not sure how much a stock trans costs....but with labor included it was about 2500, thank god for warranties. I am rambling, but I don't think they took out the engine, then again dealerships have lifts and all that fun stuff.

Chris

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Rob,

that t/c will take a shit asap :angry: hope you got money on the side to get a new tranny, because the inside will be trash too, just ask big jeff, he will tell you it is junk.

cya-junk=2500
intense=3300

you do the math.

your so up mikers ass it aint funney, but you will learn the hard way i guess, since you cant learn from others mistakes.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
The tc that Miker used doesn't have reinforced splines and that is why it won't hold up. If you need to change tc get the intense one talk to big jeff and he'll tell you what one to get for your mods. If you want to save some cash get a stocker. It weighs alot more so puts more strain on the trans but atleast it will hold up.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Sep 22 2004, 03:16 AM
Rob,

that t/c will take a shit asap :angry: hope you got money on the side to get a new tranny, because the inside will be trash too, just ask big jeff, he will tell you it is junk.

cya-junk=2500
intense=3300

you do the math.

your so up mikers ass it aint funney, but you will learn the hard way i guess, since you cant learn from others mistakes.
Wow....What I do to YOU....

I mean Your saying Im up Old Mikes ass...You got to be knobbing them intesense guys two at a time. Then give them 3300..."Just ask Big Jeff" Duuuuuuu.

Besides the fact that the Miker trans may not be up to par doest mean you gotta believe everything these guys say(LIKE YOU) They are GOOD wrenches but they are also sales people.

Go get you trans fixed or blow a load on "Big Jeffs" and be done with it. Sounds like you have an issue with Mike. I dont care. Solve it! Leave me out of it asshole.

You do the math and stop posting you ignorence. We all know you cant turn wrenches but CAN spen alot of money. I dont care if the trans goes. Alot of people cant understad the fact that when your dealing with race cars you gotta expect to break stuff. If it goes this week I'll be PISSED at MIKE and we will DEAL with him. Then I'll yank it an and fix it. Not try to make asses out of guys on the club who happen to have the same stuff.

Thanks for the info HALE..Im going to toss a new stocker in it. If the impeller goes it will send shit throughout the tranny.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

M'kay....

Well, the trans is fine now...I have a feeling it's a bad seal, or leaking valve body like suggested. As long as I don't drive around 24/7 with the perf shift on it's all normal. With the TC feeling unbalanced, I prolly chucked a fin and sent some crap through the trans, maybe nicked a seal or something. I prolly just build a new trans for it, and pop it in next spring.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 23 2004, 12:17 PM
M'kay....

Well, the trans is fine now...I have a feeling it's a bad seal, or leaking valve body like suggested. As long as I don't drive around 24/7 with the perf shift on it's all normal. With the TC feeling unbalanced, I prolly chucked a fin and sent some crap through the trans, maybe nicked a seal or something. I prolly just build a new trans for it, and pop it in next spring.
Did you drop the pan?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Didn't do a damn thing to it...too lazy, and I don't want to buy all that trans fluid. I added some extra magnets to the pan last time I messed with it, so anything floating around will eventually end up there anyway. I'm picking up a spare trans to build and slap in the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info