3800 Need to know everything about spark plugs..

well, i have to give a speech on spark plugs. my teacher had a list of a bunch of topics and one was how to gap a spark plug. i know how to do that. what i want to know is, some useful information i can give to people on why they should replace their spark plugs. here is what i am looking for:

when do spark plugs usually go bad?
how does it affect the car?
does it lower gas mileage?
is it a decision to replace the spark plug wires as well?

I am just looking for information like that. I would appreciate the help as soon as possible since i will start working on my speech tonight. thank you

zack

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Well, not a whole lot of time, but I'll try my best for a quick run down. Others can add to it later.

Originally posted by zeez gtp@Sep 19 2004, 03:57 PM
when do spark plugs usually go bad?
how does it affect the car?
does it lower gas mileage?
is it a decision to replace the spark plug wires as well?

The time to replace spark plugs depends on the engine/car, and the plugs themselves. Some materials last longer than others, i.e. Iridiums over say Champions. Forced induction motors can wear plugs down quicker, too. The answers to some of your other questions will help you decide when it's time. Bad plugs will definitely eat at your gas mileage, because you're not burning the fuel efficiently. The worse the plugs get, the lower your gas mileage gets. You will also notice a loss in power due to this inefficiency in burning fuel, because it isn't creating as good of a combustion as it should. In some cases (this would have to be pretty severe), if the gap is bad enough, it can cause the car to stumble and run horribly, as the air coming in is enough to blow the sparks out (as was happening on my car). Gapping the new plugs will also come into play when trying to achieve the best gas mileage possible, and will again depend on the motor. For example, on the n/a 3.1, the plugs are gapped to .45, where as on the turbos, they're at .35. You must also be cautious on the types of plugs used. Not all cars can use the same plugs. For example, on forced induction motors, platinums are a no-no, and slightly cooler plugs are usually a help. And most importantly, it's pretty cheap to purchase half way decent quality ones, so there really isn't a good excuse not to do this every few years.

Well, that's not much, but it's a start. Hope that helped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Z
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list