3800 Oprah Gives Cars to Audience

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Oprah Gives Cars to Audience
Sep 13, 11:37 AM EST

The Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Talk show host Oprah Winfrey celebrated the premiere of her 19th season Monday by surprising each of her 276 audience members with a new car.

"We're calling this our wildest dream season, because this year on the Oprah show, no dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said.

Making sure the audience was kept in suspense, Winfrey opened the show by calling 11 audience members onto the stage.

She gave each of them a car — a Pontiac G6.

She then had gift boxes distributed to the rest of the audience and said one of the boxes contained keys to a twelfth car. But when the audience members opened the boxes, each had a set of keys.

"Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!" Winfrey yelled as she jumped up and down on the stage.

The audience members screamed, cried and hugged each other — then followed Winfrey out to the parking lot of her Harpo Studios to see their Pontiacs, all decorated with giant red bows.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
ya, i wish i would have gone and seen her show. That just shows that some people are getting paid way to much money. People like her, and musicians, and sports players are getting paid millions and millions of dollars while people like teachers and police officers and fire fighters (the real heros) are getting paid dick.

Dreamcat78

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Rolling Meadows
that so rules...last week they said they were grand prixs on the radio guess they just didnt know thier pontiacs like us LOL yeah I am going to TIVO the last show of her show today :) i would imagine she got the cars for free DUH all she has to do is talk about them on the air and say who gave the cars..thats what Rosie o'donell used to do with caddilacs! oh well her tickets are so hard to get these days cuz of all the shit she gives away LOL

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
The cars, which retail for $28,000, were donated by Pontiac.

"A little idea grew into a big idea," Mary Henige of Pontiac told The Associated Press.

She added that Pontiac will pay for the taxes and the customizing of the cars.

Winfrey said she chose her audience members based on testimonials from their friends and family members about their specific needs for a new car. One couple drove a car with more than 400,000 miles on it; another woman drove a car that her son said "looks like she got into a gun fight."

Gifting her audience with cars wasn't the only act of generosity Winfrey performed in her opener. In another segment on the show, she surprised a 20-year-old girl who grew up in foster homes and homeless shelters with a four-year college scholarship, a makeover and a $10,000 shopping spree.

Winfrey also aided a family with eight foster children on the verge of being kicked out of the house they were renting by giving them $130,000 to buy and repair the home.

I am glad that she at least gave them to deserving people and not just rich people who paid mega bucks for tickets to her show. But man they hiked up the MSRP of that car..

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
yeah i think somewhere it said a little over 7 million dollars for all those cars, plus all the taxes will be paid by pontiac and each person gets to go to a pontiac dealer and custom pick their own car fully loaded. Pretty sweet deal if ya ask me.. although I would rather wait for the coupe or convertible in 2005, the sedan is nasty IMO. :)

Originally posted by HUNTERDOG@Sep 15 2004, 01:38 AM
Smart move on Pontiacs part. They had to lay out some cash but people buy what ever Oprah touches so I could just imagine car sales will go through the roof.

Through the SLIDING roof, to be exact! Oh, and Oprah grosses almost $270 million a year, so even if she had bought them herself, it's a drop in the ocean for her.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info