3800 Trans woes

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
First, a useless comment:
I made my trans last 159K miles on my 1997 GTP. I can't believe I broke this new trans I have now already!

Here are the symptoms which are growing more pronounced as I drive.
- Will not shift from 3rd to 4th under WOT. Car will go all the way to 6700RPM and not shift unless I let go of the accel.
- Under normal driving, car will shift out of 3rd and into 4th if feathered past 50MPH.
- After 10 minutes of driving, car will not move when put in Reverse. If I turn off the car and back on, car will shift OK in Reverse and move. WTF ? However, if on an incline, car will not move in Reverse at all.
- Trans makes a 'whinny' noise at the low RPMS of 1st,2nd,and3rd gear. It sounds like an import car going in reverse - know what I mean?

I got home and tried to back up the car into the garage and she would not move. Ohh boy.

I'm reseting the PCM tonight. Fluids look good - it was a little foamy.

Any insight would be great. Where's a good place to bring the car that knows our cars? Where is Intense located (Michigan?) Where is ZZP located (Ohio?)

Once again, caught in a dilemma of playing too much with my daily driver. LOL! Well, it's not really funny. :(

J.E.T.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That doesn't sound like much fun. :( I was hoping at the track, as I'm sure you were, that it was just a solenoid.

The whining noise is often associated with a bad differential in FWD tranmissions that I have experience with. I had one throw a pin and keep driving for a whole month with that problem. Eventually he lost reverse and 3rd gear (how ironic).

If you need somewhere local to take it to get it fixed now and you already have the good parts (LSD, Input shaft, etc) bring it on out to our shop and we'll set you up. I'll let you be the test dummy. It would be cheaper than ZZP installed and you wouldn't have to drive. As well you get a local warranty, even under racing.

Then again, if you prefer not to be someone's test whore ( :) ), I hear that the ZZP and the Intense units are both very good.

Good luck at any rate. It's a pickle.

~ Mike

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Adam, thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it.

intense does not sell trannys
I don't understand? Are you being sarcastic or?? :ph34r: :unsure:

Mike - so you think its the LSD and not the TC? It's got the Intense Gen2 LSD in there... Would the LSD explain the no Reverse feature or that does lean more towards a TC problem?

J.E.T.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Sep 9 2004, 10:44 AM
Mike - so you think its the LSD and not the TC? It's got the Intense Gen2 LSD in there... Would the LSD explain the no Reverse feature or that does lean more towards a TC problem?

I didn't think about that. If the Intense differential still uses a differential pin, it's possible though unlikely.

As for reverse, you're missing some fluid somewhere. It's either a. not getting pumped or b. shrapnel is starting to accumulate in the valve body. If that's the case, the torque converter would then be the first place to look.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info