3800 mod friendly dealers ?

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
Originally posted by sgtp@Sep 2 2004, 01:59 PM
what about if you did a full exhaust system (headers/catback) are you just SOL or what?

My argument when the time comes is that slp is an aftermarket supplier that the dealers themselves use.............
That won't work because you didn't buy the part from the dealership and they didn't do the install therefore that's not a valid part for the warranty even though its SLP.

I'll get back to you on the mod friendly dealership.

Leo

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Why do you want to go to a dealer anyways? If its a basic maintanence, you can get some guys off the board to help your find a local repair shop. If its a warranty issue, than its a different story. I would take the mods off and then go in. But I have heard that if the modification is in no way responsible for the problem, then you will still be covered. IE....you have an slp exhaust system, and your water pump takes a dump. They should still cover you. But thats just what I have heard.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Sep 2 2004, 07:15 PM
Why do you want to go to a dealer anyways? If its a basic maintanence, you can get some guys off the board to help your find a local repair shop. If its a warranty issue, than its a different story. I would take the mods off and then go in. But I have heard that if the modification is in no way responsible for the problem, then you will still be covered. IE....you have an slp exhaust system, and your water pump takes a dump. They should still cover you. But thats just what I have heard.
Thats the way it should be. Your mod has to cause the damage to the car. If you throw a rod, take all your go fast mods off. If your window motor is shot, you should have nothing to worry about. I also dont think that headers or exhaust will really void a warranty, unless the dealer wants to be a dick about it. Then again, I have heard of dealers saying 180 tstats will void your warranty. :ph34r:

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Dont kid yourselves...No such thing as a MOD FRIENDLY dealer. You boys have to understand that they dont get paid for warrentee work. Most will try anything to get out of some warrenty work.

The dealer should be viewed as a last resort. If you tossed your trans or engine, demod it and tow it in. Otherwise your taking a chance.

Its hard enough to get them to do something without trying to hand you a bill.

Some guy on this site was told that they only cover selected parts in the trans when his went......BS. Dont take there shit. Be careful.

The only good "OUT" is to cancel the check and contact the BBA. That if you at an impass. You MUST contact the agency and get a confimation # on your case. Dont just cancell the check and think its going away. My friend did this and the dealer just dropped it. I almost had to do it but they changed their tune when they realised I knew what I was talking about. But most people are not mechanics and they prey on these people.

I had this bozo service manager rying to educate me on dirty fuel injecters. I waited fo it to toss a misfire code and brought it in. He said: "Yea we got bad gas in the area we cant cover it." That will be $389......" I said who is we? Do you have a mouse in you pocket and I dont live in this area.

"We cant cover "owner damaged" componants." I asked him the results of the fuel sample taken to determine that there was bad gasoilne in the vehical. He started changing colors at this piont. "Naaawww, we didnt take one." So you and the mouse came up with this on your own? Here comes the "SIR im just doing my job." (I wanted to say what a salesman)

I said yes, I see WE are at an impass so "I will pay and take my CASE to a higher court!" Do you take a check? I'll be right back......Let me see what I can do......

Him and the mouse took care of it.

Piont is...Keep you cool....Dont tell them that your going to cancel anything.

I thought all the haggling was done after I bought the car. I love this story... :D

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
I bought my car from Haggerty Pontiac and I brought my car in with a Thrasher intake, 3.4 pulley, exhaust......when I blew my trans. The warranty company said nothing due to the fact that the tranny wouldn't have failed because of the intake nor the exhaust therefore they had nothing to say besides give him a new one for $100 :D :D :D .

But Haggerty was mod friendly or should I say the adjustor was friendly.

Realistic though don't install no cam and blow your motor and expect to get a new motor that won't happen.

The way a warranty works is: If you install any aftermarket part and your car fails or breaks down if the part you installed caused the problem then you voided the warranty(well actually you voided the warranty as soon as you put any aftermarket part on the car), but they don't have to know that. Just remove the part and put the original part back on the car and take it to the dealership. As long as the warranty company doesn't find out you'll be ok.

Leo

S

sparky 134

thanks for the replies, they were helpful.... now, i am having a tranny problem, when i shift into reverse i get this metal 'ping' kinda noise. sounds like the noise one would get pushing in the end of a coffe can and letting it spring back out. the kicker is the car has under thirty thousand miles. i don't race it and i don't beat on it. the wife drives it more than i do.

the only mod i have done is a FWI, tranny cooler and a 3.4 pulley. i am looking for someone who can do a pulley swap for me. if anyone can help me out please let me know......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info