3800 Cylinder Head mods

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

So I was thumbing through Popular Science last night and came upon an article about an Indian (India) racer/mechanic trying to get a patent on his cyl head design. Very interesting reading, I would suggest to anyone that they should read it. He brought up a good point about the fact that we are more concerned with getting air/fuel in the cyl, than we are about what it does once it's in there. Very good info about the principle behind "quench". Over in India, they do not have high octane gas availible, and he explains his quest to reduce detonation while raising compression. I've already decided to use his ideas on the L32 heads I'm building. If you're a geek like me, it's worth picking up this month's mag just for this 4 page article.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Adds a series of grooves to increase turbulence during the compression stroke. During Dyno testing it improved combustion effciency by 41%! At the edges of the ring lands where raw fuel tends to puddle, it's forced up to mix better with the air. Looking at the photos of CC's they showed, it looks as if he created "jet" channels. At least that's what I saw from it. So as the compression stroke happens, it forces air/fuel through these grooves and accelerates it at diferent speeds, by using several channels. The eddies, and sub-eddies created simply mix it up better before the spark sets off the bang.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by J.E.T.@Sep 1 2004, 01:41 PM
So, let me just try to understand (and I'm really a newbie so please forgive) - instead or port and polish, the idea is to port and ruff up? :unsure:

J.E.T.
Yeah, kind of. You really need to check out the article, they explain it way better. The inventor calls it scratching. Basically, the heat in an efficient motor is kept in the CC, and I've known this for awhile, but this explained more to me that I thought of before. If you've played a lot with a/f, you get an ear for how it sounds when it's too rich. I call it "flubbing", it makes a loud, unsharp sound. Mostly because the enriched mixture burns past the exhaust valve after the combustion event. Going rich can cool off the cylinder, mostly because the mix does not fully ignite until it's out of the chamber, which hurts power and increases detonation. By following the principles he outlines, you effectively could increase boost, and lower fuel consumption.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I got you covered there Ron ;) :D

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/futurecar/art...79464-1,00.html

I think my favorite quote is:

"My combustion was so stable that I could bring the idling down to such a point that you could actually count the blades on the fan as it turned."

My jaw just dropped when he said that :eek:

It was a interesting read, but Im unsure what exactly he is doing. Where are the groves going. I was thinking he is making small grooves from up near the spark plug, down the side of the top of the comb. chamb. all the way to where the heads seal to the block??? Its hard for me to tell from the pictures.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I had to read a few things several times to catch it all. If you look at the pics of the closed chamber head in the pic, he built channels from the Cyl edge to the combustion chamber in the opposite direction of the built in "swirl". As the piston comes up, the volume will travel from the high to low spots in the CC. His channels look like they are intended to force the swirls against each other. On the hemi heads, the diamonds promote the flow to force downward against the upward motion of the cyl. The article is a little vague, I'm sure there is a lot more he's doing, but I'd doubt they'd show all of it due to him getting a patent on it. I wonder if I could ship my extra set of heads to this guy?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Sep 3 2004, 03:20 PM
Have you ever thought of changing something in the intake port of the head, to help with fuel mixture there also. Such as a spiral channels heading to the valves. I dont know, just something that came into my mind. May be stupid, but just a thought.
The problem with that...it means nothing as the valves close and the compression stroke starts. My new injectors have a little different spray pattern. I chose them to squirt right at the valve to atomize it into the airstream. That and the basic bowl work are all I plan on the intake tract.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yea that makes sense.

But this has been going through my mind alot, I think its about time for a complete overhaul of automotive heads. Dump the stupid valves and find something else for sealing. Thats why I wrote coates engines about their camless engines, a while back in hope of getting different heads. Hopefully they will get their foot in the auto industry soon. They have already sighned deals in Europe....

Incase someone has no idea what im talking about:

http://www.coatesengine.com/engine_of_the_future.html

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Haven't heard about that for some time now, I remember there was some talk about it 2-3 years ago. I forget; maybe BMW? is going to debut solenoid actuated valves on a few of their cars. They've been out in indy racing engines for a few years, but that would be the ultimate control. Can you imagine...changing your cam profile by simply re-programming the computer! Plus you'd be saving an average of 150 Hp from the average V8 Valvetrain.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yea, Ive heard of GM messing with those to. Actually, I bet all of the Major car companies have a lot of R&D into those types of valves. Im sure charles would have a blast with some programs.....He could make a whole different type of happy knob :p .

But yea, that camless stuff is a couple years old. Actually it was 99 when they were talking about it. But I just cant believe that GM or Ford didnt jump all over it. They have some bikes they make with it, and the performance/ecomony gains are awesome. The other advantage was you dont have to worry about valve-piston clearances. So you can open the intake when the piston is top dead center. I dont see whats taking them so long to come out with new cyl. head ideas.....except the oil companies wouldnt like it too much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list