3800 waterproofing my basement

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, my brand new house keeps springing leaks in the basement (nothing major). Most of the problem is that the builder has to fix the drainage around the foundation. However, I want to start finishing my basement, and I should seal it before I start framing. Are there any products out there someone may have used with positive results to waterprrof the basement concrete?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, the foam is good for insulating cracks, but I'm looking to actually waterproof the concrete before I put up the drywall and stuff. From what I hear the concrete is very porus, and water vapor gets in everything unless it's sealed.

M

mother1998

to effectively waterproof a basement you need to start with the root of the problem...install drain tile around the inside foundation. second stop the leaks. the most popular thing in the concrete indy is to seal the crack with epoxy(leaving a few holes for the following) inject an epoxy resin mortar into the walls. it forms an unbelievable bond and i know how to do this and what exactly to use. it is not too expensive but a little pricey. but, when you put a price on the property in your basement destroyed by future water damage you will realize it pays for itself over, and over, over....

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
Ron,
Here goes,
You need to get whats called Stone Mortar brand Water Stop Hydraulic Cement (SKU 558-1331 @ Menards $6.99). Utilizing this will serve better than crack filler for your particular application. Use a TRIANGULAR SHAPED TROWEL to apply. You'll want to trowel on and FORCE the Cement I've suggested into the cracks you have. Make sure you trowell deeply into the crack.

This is a quick setting product, but afterwards, because of your particular problem, I suggest using Blue Jewl Rubber Membrane topically to seal the walls as they are under constant duress from bad drainage. This is also mold resistant and will work along the concept of "preventative" as well as repair. This item is SKU 153-1613 @ Menards and sells for 89.99, but is pertinant towards your PERMANANT repair and prevention.

MOTHER:
You are right regarding drain tile, RON, you should do this, but this will only stop FUTURE problems, in COMBINATION with the application of BLUE JEWL. The cement and blue jewel will resolve current complications, but after that you'll want to apply proper drainage.
Hope this helps.

Ironman John

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Thanks, that's basically what I'm looking for. I'm going to get the builder to fix the outside drainage, and I'll do what I can inside. Realistically, we will outgrow this place in less than 10 years, so anything I do only needs to last that long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list