3800 Making carbon fiber

I

imported_Ron Vogel

So just like everything else, I watched someone on TV making carbon fiber. I said to myself "jeez, I can do that". Anyway, anybody have input on this? I have already found where to get the materials, it's a little pricey; but not that bad: for parts smaller than a shoebox roughly $100. I was thinking of taking a stab at the Coil bracket/engine mount that's super heavy. If I ever get around to doing this, I'll be happy to share my experience.
BTW, the fabric itself isn't bad, and if looks are all your after it seems to be a simple project to lay it over hard parts.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Aug 30 2004, 03:16 PM
Dont know anything about it, but if you need an extra mount, I've got one I can give you for cheap ;) . Good luck.
I might take you up on that.
If you ever get a chance to watch it, Monster Garage had a challenge to build devices to beat Olympic records. One of the things they made was a spring attached to a runner, and the calf mount was custom made from carbon fiber. They went into great detail about the process, and showed them making it. No special tools were used, and it was done in a garage. The guy even used a cutoff 2-liter pop bottle as a funnel to pour the resin mix into. The fiber cloth was laid over a cast, then a plastic liner over that, vaccum pulled down the plastic, then the resin was pured in through the top and squegeed down into the weave.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by superchargedgp@Aug 31 2004, 12:55 AM
are you gonna wrap the bracket in carbon fiber or make it out of cf, if second will it be strong enough?
Well first, you make a form of the part by covering it in release wax, then covering it in plaster of paris. You cut off that form, and make a mold of the part from that cast. Then you cover the part in the fiber, then in plasic, and vaccum seal down the plastic. At the top of the form, you funnel in an epoxy mixture, and smooth it down into the fabric. It takes roughly 20 minutes to cure, and you pull off the plastic. There needs to be an access hole to break up and remove the form material. Suppossedly it will be as strong as 1/4" steel, but I imagine that it would be a good idea to use bushings in mounting areas to be safe. If the braket itsn't a good mold candidate, it might not be a bad idea for me to fab one out of tube steel first, and mold that instead. I'd love to be able to fabricate stuff out of CF, so I don't mind taking on something like this at all.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
How about just using the Bonnie bracket? Isn't that lighter than the GTP?

I know, I know - you want to experiment with cf. :D But if you take a look at your cost, the Bonnie bracket might be the way to go on this particular mod!

Just make a spoiler of somethin' :lol:

J.E.T.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by J.E.T.@Aug 31 2004, 09:09 AM
How about just using the Bonnie bracket? Isn't that lighter than the GTP?

I know, I know - you want to experiment with cf. :D But if you take a look at your cost, the Bonnie bracket might be the way to go on this particular mod!

Just make a spoiler of somethin' :lol:

J.E.T.
'cause I like to be different, and the Bonnie bracket eliminates the pass side upper dogbone. It's always good to learn a new skill, even if I never do it again I can always appreciate the work that goes into it.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Aug 31 2004, 09:27 AM
You could just take a note from your own book about weight savings...."cut big holes in metal"

But now, cut bigger holes and then fill with carbon fiber :D
You don't know how on the mark that statement actually is. Go look at hull repair for boats, CF is the hot ticket. CF repair is inexpensive, easy to do, and easy to source.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list