3800 engine stress after IC/cam

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
sorry, got cut off the last time...here's the actual post ;)

ok, here's the deal...my gtp gets one last hurrah before i go with a V8...right now i've got 95 grand on the odometer (still same engine minus a new set of stock heads) and about 5,000 miles on the trans (stock replacement also). right now i have pretty basic mods (plugs, cai, rockers, pcm, headers, 3.25", exhaust, afcv2) but hopefully some time this winter i'll be able to do one 'major' mod...
i'm thinking either cam or IC.

My question is this...will either one be 'better' for my engine? i'm guessing that i'll be running considerably more boost if i go the IC route so i'm a little worried about a failure due to that...

I'm also guessing that i might be able to get more hp out of the IC(correct me if i'm wrong), but i don't want to get the extra power if the possibility of a catastrophic failure is substantially greater than going with a cam.

just for clarification, if i go with a cam, it will be something along the lines of the xp or s3 (i know they're desinged for aftermarket heads, but humor me) and if i go with the IC, it'll be either the current zzp, the one here from ILGPC, or one from intense (assuming that it performas at least as well as the other two and it exists :rolleyes: ).

So, assuming that the IC and the cam would be installed correctly and that all the parts on the IC work properly, which path will lead me to the least worries?

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I see around 10.5 lbs of boost with an IC, 3" pulley, ported manifolds and 3" downpipe, this is with the stock exhaust system and 65,000 miles on the odometer. I use to see around 9.5 lbs of boost with the 3.4" pulley and stock everything (exhaust wise), cept for a u-bend delete. I havent had a chance to scan it yet since Ive gotten it installed. Will do it soon, however I normally do not beat on my vehicle...

The great thing about the IC that I've noticed since I've gotten it installed is that I always get this heavy throttle pedal feeling. Like the feeling when you know your car is running really good or its like 50 degrees outside. That is awesome!

If you can do both thats even better, right now I am running 1.9 Intense rockers which I think are a great mod. However when my car is paid off I will definitely be thinking about going the cam route, most preferably with the ZZP VS Cam.

Good luck to whatever you do however...

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
im not very familiar with the cams you chose, but iirc both of them would require headwork. That is gonna be an added cost to installing the cam as you will destroy your heads without getting the work done.

The question that begs to be asked is: if you plan on moving on to a V8 why dump $1000 into the gp? You already should have a mid 13 sec car. By adding more power to the engine you are going to be pushing the limits of that stock transmission, fresh or not. So that $1000+ investment could quickly turn into a $3000+ investment. Unless you have a money tree in your backyard that could quickly hamper you goal of a v8. Just a thought.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info