• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I have IPass and rarely use it

On the top side... having mostly IPass only lanes.. traffic not stopping at tolls... it'd be nice

BUT ... big brother tracking most people... sorry i'm not game for that... (reason I disabled .. or at least i think i did... my onstar)

BagBoyABitch is an idiot... first they get people using IPass then they start issuing tickets by mail because the distance between 2 tolls was over the speed limit...

I use my Ipass when I'm driving to a buddy's place and I have to pay tolls... i don't speed then... but when I'm in a caravan... i speed hehehe

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I use my Ipass to get on the toll everyday but don't pay when I get off so they can't use it against me. I can't see them getting you for speeding. You are supposed to do the speed that everyone else travels. "Supposed to" being the key word there.............. :lolsign:
Lots worse things than ipass out there. Like windows XP for example!

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
you're supposed to do the posted speed limit :) the "keep up with traffic" thing is wrong... (i got a ticket when i was 17 cause I was keeping up w/traffic) ....

if they decide to do tickets by mail (like shitcago does w/some of the stop light cameras) , they'll set a threshold... if you're over the limit you get a ticket... and you don't get the courtesy of having a witness... it's you vs. a computer... and the computer will always show...

I run Windows XP and i'm locked down... my XP is pretty damn secure and I have been known to do illegal computer activities.... but "big brother" doesn't have the option fo watching me in my case...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm with Mike... I've always been weary of any RFID setups. Unless you are walking everywhere and paying for everything with cash, you're pretty easily tracked. That's a scary thought.

As for eliminating the manual lanes, I'm all for it. Take 355 south to 55, that last toll. That's the closest tollbooth to what they are proposing and it's very convenient.

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Sucks.. but I love my ipass, I am so glad I got it last year!!!! so much easier on the tollways. I try to avoid them as much as I can but sometimes ya gotta pay. I also try to not go through 2 tolls one right after another as to not get caught "speeding" there are a few free exits on 355 (which I use the most) so I just do that. :)

This whole thing is a joke.. The tollway is a joke. Just more ways for the government and tollway authorities to line its pockets.
The tolls were created to initialy pay for the bonds that were recieved to build the roads in the first place. after that, the tolls were supposed to be suspended. here it is over 50 years later and we still have the damn tolls!! I am pretty sure the intial bonds have been paid for by now! They then said, that the tolls are kept to "improve the roads"... HA what a F`ing joke that is!! The tollways are some of the worst maintained roads in Illinois. AND by thier own admission "...65 percent of which have not been reconstructed since they were built in the late 1950s...", so, I ask you, where does the 100+ million per year that they take in go???

And now big brother wants to track me with thier stupid i-pass and the state/counties make even MORE $$ off me by nailing me for speeding AND penalize me if I dont use their stupid azz tracking device! :fight:
you want to reduce congestion on the tollways? just get rid of the F`ing tolls!! but we all know THAT will not happen dont we? :banghead:

I step off my :soapbox: for now...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Fuck I-pass, big brother can kiss my ass...I will be making a device to hide my plate as I roll through the lanes. I don't mean to sound like an old man, but listening to years of the bullshit on the roads will make you jaded on the subject. I have the option of taking Rt 53 or 355 north to work everyday. Even with all the stoplights, it's faster taking Rt. 53 (mind you this is a 2 lane highway vs. a 6 lane) about 75% of the time. If I take 355 everyday it's $2.00 to go about 20 miles, or about $500 a year, plus higher gas costs for all the stop and go (let's say $250 per year) So for about the same price as a new Katskinz leather interior, I can sit in traffic longer on the way to work 75% of the time...sign me up for that!

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I read a case a while back where a guy was cheating on his wife... they used his IPASS information to show that he was going totally out of his way towards the person whom he was accused of cheating with instead of where he said he was going... this hurt him in the divorce settlement...

If the government gets a majority of people to start using IPASS ... how long until some pencil pusher looks at it and starts to think "wow... we know what time they went through toll A and what time they went through toll B ... so we know how fast they were going on average ... we already do ticket by mail for toll evasion ... we already do ticket by mail at some stop lights in chicago... think of all the money we can make by speeding tickets by mail"

That's the thing I don't like... I don't want "big brother" gathering this info that they could later use against me... a cop catches me speeding... fine he's a witness against me... i have my time in court... a computer catches me speeding... who's the witness? Then to "fine" those that refuse to get IPASS is ridiculous...

Granted you are right about Indiana and Ohio doing this... you get a ticket w/the time you entered, then pay when you leave ... but w/IPASS license plate , registered owner of the ipass etc... is in a big ole database... not hard to have it run down and auto mail a bunch of fines out ... little more difficult w/the Indiana and Ohio setups (though they do have some sorta IPASS right? just not mandatory?)

Plus I trust our politicians in Springfield about as much as I trust John Kerry... which isn't a hole lot...

M

mother1998

Originally posted by horist@Aug 25 2004, 11:35 PM

if they decide to do tickets by mail (like shitcago does w/some of the stop light cameras) , they'll set a threshold... if you're over the limit you get a ticket... and you don't get the courtesy of having a witness... it's you vs. a computer... and the computer will always show...

IF is the main word...I have been using I-Pass for over 5 years, also note that I have been speeding with them. Speeding from toll booth to toll booth, and through the toll booths, i.e., 45 thru a 30 i-pass. The thing is, there are not that many states that have a tollway system. How is "big brother" going to watch all 2 billion americans by issuing ipasses to 6 million Illinoians? It's a bunch of media propaganda that is used to excite juveniles and juvenile-minded individuals. The govm't will only start the issuing-tickets-through-ipass-tech when they are in dire need of funds....and regardless of what you think you know, Illinois is not that deperate for cash...YET. my .02 ;)

Thread Info