3800 Cold Air Intakes

would you prefer

• 1) Open Cone Style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) FWI

• 3) Pre-manufactured box like thrasher, msp, etc.

• Total voters

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
go the fenderwell route. an open cone isnt gonna do much for you. It will flow better, but the air will be hotter than with a stock box, so the gains are eliminated. DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN $80!!!! there is no reason to. the thrasher, or wizair, or slp box just arent worth the cash. use the money you save on a fwi to get started on some rockers or headers.

BC

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
He probably used ducting sold by Intense. I doubt Intense actually has their own proprietary ducts made. :)

4" PVC or plastic ducting can be had from Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. I agree with the above. Skip the aftermarket boxes unless you don't have faith in your own abilities. It's quite easy to build a FWI.

Originally posted by antpearl@Aug 18 2004, 06:03 PM
thanks everyone! Looks like I will be building a FWI. Not quite sure out of what yet...but that seems to be the way to go. Do you just cut a hole in the plastic fender cover in the engine bay and then drop the filter down behind the foglight? sounds easy enough. Does it matter K&n or S-b Powerstack>
I dont know anything about Powerstack, but when it comes to K&N or S&B, it doesnt matter.

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
BumpinGTP,
Do you have a pic of where your filter is? Is it out into the actual fenderwell where you had to cut through and it's exposed to the outside? Or is it just through the tringular cutout behind the corner light? Living in northern IL with all the rain and snow I'm hesitant to run it out into the open air where it's open to all the road spray.

Here is some pics of mine. I have all the supplies I used at work except the filter which cost me $30.00. It works kick ass! Also the flex hose is smooth inside even though it doesn't look it from the outside, we use the hose for material transfer.

gtp3.JPG

gtp2.JPG

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
Hey, I have been using my Thrasher intake kit and I love it. One way to go is simply to run the Thrasher kit to keep the filter cleaner if you're worried about elements, and then run some ducting through the fenderwell. The air will travel up the ducting into the filter, which still resides in the engine compartment. You'll avoid heatsoak because the casing that the Thrasher comes in serves as a heat shield.

NOT TO MENTTION WITH A FWI, WHADDYA GONNA DO WHEN YOU RUN THAT BADASS RAM AIR HOOD?!!! (you know you want one)
Use a kit with a heat shield, and then run ducting, same air movement and then your set for a tricked out hood too.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The bad ass hoods do nothing for flow. They can say ram-air all they want, but they do nothing aside from looking sexy.

The thing that concerned me with the Thrasher (there was a gentleman who had one at the track Friday) was that it still gets significantly heat soaked when the engine is at a stand still. This makes a rather large difference at the track.

Thread Info