3800 My fun tire experience

I

imported_Ron Vogel

So last month I ordered some Falken Ziex 512's (235-55-16) from Vulcan tire. Got all 4 for $358 (including shipping). Not too bad of a deal. I couldn't get them installed until last Friday, so the proior Thursday I called around for prices on mounting and balancing. Discount tire was $70, and my Dad suggested Farm & Fleet, so I called over there. They ended up at $52.
Friday comes, and I head to F&F, first off they said it was going to be an hour and a half wait (I was like "fine", even though there was 3 techs there and only one other car). Then they tell me I was mis-qouted, and it will be $93. I eventually got it for $52, but it took some talking. 3 hours later....pulling my hair out trying to keep my 3 year old occupied at F&F for that long. I was the last customer out the door as they closed, on the drive home, my car was shaking like crazy; ARRRGH!
So I go back Saturday as they open to have them re-balanced. 2 hours later I am told 3 of 4 are out of round, and can't be balanced. I go home, get on the computer, and e-mail the tire store I bought them from. They get back to me quickly, and say they will only return if the yellow dots on the tires match up with the valve stems, and a roadforce balance has been done. I go out there and look; none of the yellow dots match the stems!
So, Sunday morning, I'm back at F&F to have my yellow dots lined up, they are able to balance 3 of the 4, and one is still out of round. On the way home it felt fine actually, and still feels ok. However, the online tire store is replacing that tire at no cost, and reinbursing me for the mounting, I should get my new tire by tommorrow...then back to F&F! This has really been hell, I didn't get any work done to the car because of this last weekend. Sorry for the long post, but I think a few people may get some entertainment out of it.

BTW; the Falkens are awesome compared to my Yokohamas

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Aug 18 2004, 02:29 PM
I still am weary about many online things.......do it in person.....
Well, I'm at least happy that the online retailer is making good on this whole deal. It did end up being a collosal waste of my time though.

BTW, Discount tire wanted $540 installed for the same tires; and they wouldn't match their own price on the previous tires I had on the car, even though they still carry them. I was disgusted, and bought them online.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

He's over at Cosco now, and I don't have a cosco card. :( I asked him about it about a month ago. Too bad too, I trust him more than most the morons in the tire shops out there. Obviously there are a lot of good people out there, but I think you know what I mean.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by GTPictor@Aug 18 2004, 07:55 PM
i can get around costco card if i have to. i have been learning new tricks as i go along.
Awww, crap!

Adam, at least there was one guy at F & F that knew what he was doing. They sent me on my way that Friday night with 4 unbalanced tires, car shook like it was going to fall apart. At least Sat when that guy was there I found out what was going on. I almost went to another place on Suday for a second opinion, and would have if any other place was open.

Mikeb33

Aug 14, 2008
If you guys ever need a GOOD balance, or "roadforce" balance, go to www.gsp9700.com and find a shop near you by entering your zip code.

This machine measures runout and "roadforce" at the tire and then measures the rim. It allows the tech to rotate the tire on the rim to match them for the least amount of vibration or runout, THEN it spin balances the assembly for a smooth rolling tire/wheel combo.

I did my GTP 17X7 wheels last week with brand new Potenza P245X45X17. I rides sooo smooth right up to 90mph.

MIKE

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info