3800 Should I go back....

RynosGP

Nov 10, 2008
I've been using Mobile 1 Syn. for about 100,000 miles. I recently developed an oil leak from the pan. It's not too bad but enough that it leaves some drops. I know that Synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it will go through smaller openings. My car has 170,000 miles on it. Would it hurt anything to go back to regular dino oil. If it's ok what regular oil should I uses? Valvoline High mile or something like that? Thanks for you help

Thanks,
Ryan

I

imported_Ron Vogel

There is an old wives tale about switching back causing bearing falures. If you are only switching to stop a leak, it's not a good idea. My suggestion is to first try an additive to the Synthetic. The same stuff (gasket sweller) they put in the hi-milage oil is availible seperately. Maybe it's not a correct analogy, but what your considering is like starting your 95 year old grandmother on smoking, since she lived this long already, and is doing ok.

RynosGP

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for the reply's. That's why I come here to get answers from people who know more than me. I was going to fix it but it's the oil pan that's leaking and I hear you have to pretty much pull the motor to fix it. I didn't want to deal with that. I'll probably just stick with the Synt and use ron's suggestion to see if it works.

but what your considering is like starting your 95 year old grandmother on smoking, since she lived this long already, and is doing ok

That's a good anology Ron, I see your point. Pretty funny too. LOL

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by RynosGP@Aug 12 2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the reply's. That's why I come here to get answers from people who know more than me. I was going to fix it but it's the oil pan that's leaking and I hear you have to pretty much pull the motor to fix it. I didn't want to deal with that. I'll probably just stick with the Synt and use ron's suggestion to see if it works.

but what your considering is like starting your 95 year old grandmother on smoking, since she lived this long already, and is doing ok

That's a good anology Ron, I see your point. Pretty funny too. LOL
Ryno, good to hear the GTPs doin good.

I will not be down and ISU anymore... :( ....well, maybe a weekend here and there. :)

Have fun down there.

RynosGP

Nov 10, 2008
Ryno, good to hear the GTPs doin good.

I will not be down and ISU anymore...  ....well, maybe a weekend here and there. 

Have fun down there.

What's up Royal. She's still running good. No one can believe it has 170K on it. I'm heading up or Rt66 this tuesday to see what I can do.

I saw that you got a teaching job. How's that going so far? You'll have to let me know when you come down.

Ryan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list