3800 Intercooler Pumps

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I shall be getting my ZZP intercooler installed this week! (cant wait!)

However I would like your opinions on possible pump replacements if my ZZP unit ever takes a dive..

First of all, whats the average life of the zzp stage 2 pumps? I read that the motors are cartridge like and can be removed/replaced on the fly. Anyone have a link for the replacement motors? Are the replacement motors cheap?

I was talking with Paul from PRJ Performance and he pointed me to this unit

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPag...F&preview=false

I believe this is the unit he use to sell. Anyone running this unit? I believe GTPictor is and he told me good things about it. What is the life expectency of this pump? Would it be a simple swap with the ZZP unit if I decided to go with this one?

The reason why I ask these questions is because since this car is a daily driver, I just want to make sure I dont get stranded with a dead IC pump since I guess you cannot run a IC core dry...

Thanks for any assistance!

Joel

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The ZZP pump in my not so humble opinion is a... well it is what it is. :)

The ZZP kit is very nice, but I'm not a big fan of the pump.

I'll PM you the details on the pump that Ron and I are running. Cheap, flows well, quite, light, and so far is able to withstand constant running with low case temps.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by jk99gtp@Aug 11 2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks Mike let me know what you guys have in mind :)

I believe snoop has the stage 1 pump and when talking with him he hasnt had any problems with his pump for a couple of years or so...

So not sure...
Perhaps that's a different pump. The pumps I've seen from them seem to lack in substance. Perhaps Mike can touch on this as he loves to respond to all my intercooler posts. :) More importantly though, he has the ZZP setup.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I'm running a Johnson pump and you cannot hear it at all (yes, it's working :rolleyes: .) I would say one of the top specs you have to look for in a pump is that it must be rated for continuous use. I spec'ed out a Flojet pump a while back that was around $120 that would be perfect. It's in an old post around here somewhere...

(checks Palm Pilot) - here it is: Flojet model 4125-502

I've had 2 ZZP pumps fail. Not sure why Zoom wants to keep using these pumps since he ends up sending a new one to people every time. He's very good about replacing them though - no questions asked.

J.E.T.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
hey thanks guys for all the replies!

Hopefully my pump will last me until I get my fuel rails (j/k!), still waiting on those suckers but Paul said they should be ready in the next couple of weeks!!

But after reading about people's pumps failing it got me a bit worried, I'll talk with Zoomer about it when I meet up with him also...

Stupid Question tho: How will I know when my pump fails?? When I turn the key will I be able to hear the motor from inside the vehicle? Does it make any "failing" noises that will tip me off?

Snoop you have a PM!

Thanks guys!

Joel

I

imported_snoop

Originally posted by jk99gtp@Aug 11 2004, 03:38 PM
Stupid Question tho: How will I know when my pump fails?? When I turn the key will I be able to hear the motor from inside the vehicle? Does it make any "failing" noises that will tip me off?
the radio and everything has to be off and you can hear a very little humming noise, that is the pump(at least in my car it is). but everything has to be pin drop quiet to hear it. so you know. or you can turn the key to the on position and grab the pump, if its vibrating, its working.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I had a car with an Holley Blue and red pump hard mounted, it turned heads when I turned them on. In any case well nuts are your friend with pump mounting. I fabbed up a bracket, mounted the bracket to the car with well nuts, and mounted the pump to the bracket with well nuts; nice and quiet now. That loud shit is for the birds, once you get stuck on a long drive.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I like the Johnson pump so far, but it is a little slow. I have it mounted vertically on the lower left hand side of the radiator. It's hard to explain, but.. On each side of the rad in front of it, there is a piece of metal that juts out a few inches with some holes in it. I took a piece of angle iron, and marked 2 spots to drill that line up with the holes. I drilled into the angle iron to put some well nuts in, that's how the angle iron is attached. I welded on a small piece of metal to that to mount the pump vertically. Works real well that way, and it's super quiet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info