3800 Synthetic Oil

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
from what I've heard that's not true... now if you have a motor that's been run on conventional motor oil for 90k miles you don't wanna switch to synthetic ... but the other way around is fine.

As far as I know Mobil 1 can be mixed with a conventional motor oil and is fine... the only time syou have issues is with some 100% synthetic oils like Royal Purple ... where if you mix they actually seperate from eachother (or something like that)

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
You can always go back and forth between full synth. and conventional. However, switching to conventional is not recommended after high miles. Conventional oil is thicker, and covers some small holes that synth will escape through - which is why leaks can occur when switching over.

Switching back to regular is fine though, and I probably will if I hit over 120k miles and still keep this car. Either that, or switch to a thicker weight synth oil.

BTW, I run Royal Purple 10w30, switched at 30k miles.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
synthetic oil, as mentioned above, is typically thinner. It also contains detergents which will clean the "sludge" off of your seals. Unfortunately on the higher mileage cars, this sludge is what is doing the actual sealing.

This is the theory. On some cars it's worse than others. My 95' Taurus had 173,000 miles on it and didn't burn a drop of oil. I threw in there whatever I felt like buying at the time.

edit: It didn't drip oil either, at least not as bad as the GP does. :)

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
When going back to normal oil let the car break in.

You wil get lots of valve train chatter.

But this is normal. and you should not be alarmed.
Remember synthetic oil is alot slicker than normal oil. SO switching back and forth is not recommended.. Like I said let the normal oil have its break in period

NOt all motors will experience chatter..

but is is known to happen.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Aug 6 2004, 10:01 AM
You only have to change Amsoil once a year, heh. How exactly do you cleanly replace an oil filter w/o draining the oil?

It usually winds up everywhere anyways, so I just replace oil and filter at about 3k miles the first time, and 5-6k miles every other time.
I turn the wheel and insert a pie pan under the oil filter......

Catches all the excess......

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
We discovered at work that the synhetic deterriorated the seals in some of our older machines.....Its slippery...Less friction less heat. The viscosity doesnt break down heated as much as conventional oil. That means you hydraulic lifters stay pumped up longer maximizing you lift potential.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info