3800 1998 GTP radio

F

floydzepplin

I appologize if this subject has already been beaten to death. I'm new to this site. I have a 98 GTP and have had problems with the GM radio display. It seems to be temperature sensistive. After startup the display may be blank or only be missing a number of segments. I had this problem under warrenty and it was fixed but has come back.

I like to replace this unit with another one that retains the controls on the steering wheel and adds satallite radio. A multiple disk changer is also desired.

I was wondering if GM has corrected this problem since 98 and if a more modern version of the factory radio would fit my needs. I assume that factory units are available from people who choose to upgrade their system with after market systems.

You thoughts would be appreciated.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Well factory systems are pretty easy to obtain and most of the time you can get them for like $50 from somone. Just post for one in the classifields section here and see if anyone has one for sale.

If you are looking to upgrade to an aftermarket system, buy one that has xm or cirrus already built in. In addition to any factory you can add a 10 or 12 disc changer in the trunk. I think also for another $40-$80 you can buy a module that will allow you to control your new after market head with steering wheel controls. I just dont know if that is only for certain brands though? You check that out from Best Buy, Circuit City etc.

Good luck...

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
I have one..

I was looking to get 50 for it.. it is the one with the EQ's on it... and CD Player..

but.. it also... occasionalyl does the same thing.. but.. it happened about once a month.. and not when it got hot.. fixes itself about 3 minutes after turning the car on.. it didn't do it.. the last 2 months of having it.. (taken it out of the car, for an aftermarket unit)

if you want it.. let me know..

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• F
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list