3800 air intake

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by mother1998@Jul 29 2004, 01:32 PM
i have a pos cone from auto(honda) zone, it sounds nice (induction noises) but i am officially slower. i talked to rob? about a kn panel, w/ ram air box or something to that effect, but i am broke as fuc* any suggestions to get my stock hp back?
I have the stock fitting K&N filter....If thats what you want? Cone is nice..You can also mod your stock box and pick up cold air from your fender well if you wish. This worked well for me with the K&N. I also made a ram air duct on the bottom shroud in front of my left wheel.

Let me know if you want the filter.

ThePizzaGXP

5.3 liters of stockness
Dec 17, 2008
Carpentersville, IL
103-DSC01169.JPG

This is the FWI Ryan speaks of. The filter is $33 shipped from SLP, plus $10 in parts, yeah. No bends, and fits like a glove.

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
Okay, here are pics of what I did with mine. I got the idea from someone at ClubGP. This pic shows the tube coming out the side into the fender. I had an extra airbox, so I left the stock one in and dissambled the other one. Then I placed the tube and marked where it would fit through into the fender.

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
Here's a pic of the inside. You can see the normal opening in the front and then the added opening on the left for the tube. The tube has 2 or three detents built onto it, so if you cut the hole close enough the detents hold it in place really well. I'd try to move it up a little if you can. As you can see, the PCM takes up a lot of room.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The only problem with that setup is it won't flow enough to maximize a 3.4 pulley or smaller. After your panel has had some time to get dirty, take a look at how much of it is clean. The area behind the filter blocks more than half of it. I tried to get the stock airbox to work with a panel, but it's a lost cause. Soon as I switched to a cone set-up, I was able to get into the 13's. FWI is really the way to go, not only does it grab cooler air from the fender, but the stock airbox soaks up a lot of heat and tranfers it to the incoming air. The denser, cooler, and larger volume of air you get from a FWI nets you more power and less KR.

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
This is a pick of the center section of the airbox after it's gutted. The airbox has 3 sections. The front one that joins to the f-duct is left as-is. The back section is where you cut the hole for the tube, and the center section is where you have to cut out all the plastic. I used a cheap rotary tool from Pep Boys. It took about 15 minutes to get the tube pulled out of the original airbox and about an hour to do all the cutting. The only real expense was the $30 dollars for the K&N panel filter. I don't have anything else to compare this to, but it made a noticeable difference in throttle response, and seems to supply enough air now that I've gone to a 3.4" pulley.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I did all that too. It's not enough...Look at the part of the air box where the f-duct attaches to it. That is the flow restriction. There is virtually no airspace between the filter and the cover, plus the area is webbed, causing a lot of turbulence. I did the same as you, even cut a hole for a tube into the fender, and enlarged the hole in the front of the box/metal in headlight area. The f-duct itself causes turbulence in the ribbing; which is gone with most FWI's.
I'm just posting this is because many of us have wasted our time trying to get the stock airbox to work, then ditching it eventually. It's really better to keep the airbox stock and shelve it to sell, or to de-mod later than hack it up and it be useless.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by mother1998@Jul 29 2004, 01:32 PM
i have a pos cone from auto(honda) zone, it sounds nice (induction noises) but i am officially slower. i talked to rob? about a kn panel, w/ ram air box or something to that effect, but i am broke as fuc* any suggestions to get my stock hp back?
With that "Honda" set-up you are prolly only using a 3" tube, which is too small. I tried a smaller cone filter from Autozone at one time, and they are very restrictive. The 7" K&N is OK, but the 9" one is really the way to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info