3800 First MODS, new car

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
I have 1000 miles on my new GTP and want to have my first two mods by 3000 (not including my sythetic fluid changeovers). I am looking for a Borla exhaust and an open element intake of some kind. Nice and simple. Any suggestions on where to look and buy?
I have several sites bookmarked, but not only do I want suggestions on pricing, but ease of transaction and shipping as well.
Thanks in advance for the input, let the madness begin.
Toasty John

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Borla is expensive. for the performance you will gain you would be better off visiting our exhaust guy Jim and having him build you a custom catback. Unless you want that sound borla just isnt worth it. You can make a fenderwell intake for about $80 through home depot w/ a k&n filter. Hope that helps. Personally though, i would definitely get the custom catback, fenderwell intake, AND a pulley. You could do all that for about the cost of the borla, and yuo will see about 1 sec dropped off your 1/4 mile time.

BC

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I think borla was well worth after I bought an SLP loudmouth and took it off after three days because of the incredible drone at all speeds.....even idle....

I really didnt like any of the others I have heard as well.

Listen to the exhaust with your own ears. This is the only way to know what you will like. There are enough events every month for you to hear all of them.

Good exhaust sound is really determined by the user. Everyone is different.
Get a larger down pipe and ubend though too.

YOu should then determine if you want a fenderwall intake (fwi) OR, a CAI kit.

There are advantages and disadvatages to both.

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
Mike,

YOU are local?
I think I missed something here.... how about some more info?
Send me an email at [email protected] (I suppose you can alll now email me like madmen...)
Everyone else, thanks for the responses. Although I already know what order I am modding in and whatnot, and the information was great, no one really answered my question about some of the people they've dealt with and WHERE...
So far, it looks like I'd be going to 3800 Performance for my Borla system.
I'd go with Borla because they are light weight, sound great and don't rot.
My Cougar saw 12lbs lighter than stock and 10% HP increase with a Boral system.
I used to run Dynomax, but in all honesty, that was on my cheaper cars...
Not big on cutting into the fender, I'll come up with something clever if I can about that. Although if that's what everyone is doing, then that MIGHT be the way to go.

Anything else from anyone?
_Toasty John

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
FYI, I forgot.
The reason I am holding off on the pulley for my 04 is because of the timing issues. I want to do more than add colder plugs to fix the 04 timing problem during shifts, and I won't up the power big time until I take care of that with something like colder plugs or an ECU.
I more or less want to maximize what the car has before I change it out. Increasing breathing on the motor is the first step to optimizing performance on this car (in my opinion) and then working that higher flow into a better timing curve than stock in order to realize the true potential of the higher output my 04 has.

Toasty John

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You dont have to cut into your fender for a FWI. THeres a hole there already, unless that changed in 04.

As far as exhaust goes, do you want sound?? Or performance?? You could always go the route of custom exhaust with borla mufflers. The mufflers is what gives you your sound mostly anyway.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Alot of people odn't get borla if they are planning on going big with mods cause its a smaller pipe. they go custom so they dont' have to upgrade later and do it twice.

to me borla was overpriced for what ya get.

I have custom magnaflows from Jim and yes the drone was bad for about a week, literally would give me a headache at times. Then i got used to it and now 8 months later love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
Well, I have a weekend off coming up. Somebody use the email above to connect me with Magic Jim that I keep hearing about, and I'll consider cruising to his shop & give the man a shot to earn my business!!

Location location location. As long as he doesn't work for Sound Performance.
Those guys should've gotten back to me like 3 weeks ago. But I have a domestic, so NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Toasty John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info