3800 Intake Manifold Porting

sgtp

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
The one rule to follow is do not gasket match the runners unless you have gasket matched heads. All that leaves you is widen the inlet on top, polish smooth the runners, and smooth out as much of the inside as you can from the top inlet. I put a knife edge on the ridge down the center. I guess you could remove the posts inside too.

I think people still tap and plug the water jacket holes going to the TB when they do ICs but I may be wrong.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Plug and tap eh? I just installed replacement O rings and decided to let the IC housing be the "plug". So far so good.

As for the intake, when I redo my heads I plan on gasket matching the intake as well as the heads. The important thing, as mentioned above, is not to gasket match the intake without also doing the heads as that will result in excessive turbulence. In addition to the ports you also want to lengthen the main inlet to the size of the intercooler core.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
If its still apart it may not be a bad idea to plug those coolent holes. Coolent is coorosive....The new red isnt as bad as the old green stuff....Mainly due to the increased use of o-rings in newer engines....

But if it leaks you'll probably wont know until its too late....If you dont notice the white smoke its hydro lock city....I may have a manifold tapped and plugged already for exchange and 2 cases of Lite(service fee) if you dont want to take a chance. PM if your interested...I'll be in the garage all day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info