3800 3" dp?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ryan,

You're going to get some people that are going to point you to Jim at James Dean Muffler and Brakes down in LaGrange, and up until now I would have been one of them, but after looking at my downpipe closer I would have to recomend you purchasing an R/T DP and just installing it yourself.

My 3" DP from Jim is a 2.75" crush bent pipe. When I discovered this I was dissapointed to say the least. I beleive that when he used to work at Fair Muffler he had access to a mandrell bender which he apparently did not have at his last facility and I do not beleive he currently has one. At any rate, you'll be paying him about $120 for a U bend removal and a downpipe, but unless he has a mandrell bender I would recomend you spend that money on a 3" RT Downpipe.

Good luck!

RyansGTP

Jan 29, 2008
Thank you very much for the quick reply:) In April I had a brand new hi-flo Magnaflow cat put on in addition to having a straight pipe put in in place of the ubend. The R/T dpcat combo is just too expensive considering the fact that the dp is the only piece that I need. Is there anyone else that has exhaust experience, a welder, and a way to mandrel bend the pipe that I could be referred to?

Ryan

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
Hey there,
Im new to the board as I am also new to the Grand Prix. I traded in my 99 Cougar for an 04 GTP. When I had the Cougar I always went to the same guy for my exhaust welds. He doesn't have a mandrel to bend the pipe, but he can simply flare out the pipe at the kinks, which ultimately gives the pipe the same diameter all the way down.
The only reason a mandrel is desirable is to maintain consistency of ID throughout the pipe. If you flare out the pipe wider than the rest at the kinks, then the ID stays consistent anyway.
Anyway, my guy is Steve at the Car X on North Ave. in St. Charles. When I get my Borla system he'll be throwing it together for me.
Hope this helps.

-John

'04 Silvermist GTP - Nothing... yet. Loving the power, hating the shifts -sigh-

tommmy3

Regular
Dec 19, 2008
Originally posted by RyansGTP@Jul 19 2004, 05:44 PM
I just put in my 180* drilled t-stat this past weekend and now I want to put in a 3" dp. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good (reasonably priced) shop or welder that could put this on for me near Lombard. Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Ryan
im in the same boat!
got the ubend deletion and just want the downpipe

toastyj

Regular
Jul 19, 2008
No, it wouldn't. If you ask that and someone gives you a dumbass response (that is that it is YOU who are indeed the dumbass), then they are the asshole.
You'll either get an honest answer, or a sarcastic one because whoever you've asked doesn't have the capability to mandrel bend, and feels putout by your question, hence trying to turn the tables on you in order to make up for there own insecurity.

Uh Yeah. Sorry, psyc. major having a fit there for a minute...
-whew- Yeah. It's over now.

Toasty John

RyansGTP

Jan 29, 2008
So I went out searching this weekend for a place to make a 3" dp and after going to 8 different exhaust shops including E&R Performance on North Ave, no one could do it. They all said if I were to get one they could install it but I can't find anyone that is able to make one :( Is there anywhere else that you guys, with the custom 3" dp, could direct me to??? Two of the places I went to didn't even know what I meant by a downpipe... :blink:

Ryan

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You might want to look at the M&S DP, sometimes you can find them used on club gp. I had a Jim DP too. I ended up making my own from mandrel bent pieces. It looks just like the M&S pipe w/o the flex in there. BTW, E& R are a bunch of jags. I stopped going there because I always leave pissed. Funny, a custom shop that won't touch anything custom.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info