3800 Big project...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, The ports on these things are actually pretty good, I'm just cleaning them up really. Maybe do a little gasket match. The only real problem with the ports is the short side radius has to be smoothed out. The bowls are really clean in these heads, hardly anything needs to be done to the guide areas. The big losses in these heads is in the combustion chamber. Big gains can be had in there. I started my work there first. The factory machines in a big ridge where the cast meets the seats. All the cast ares are a very rough finish also. This makes me happy and sad. Doing so much work in the combustion chamber area forces me to take the time to cc the heads now, so one extra step. All in all, it's a well designed head. I've done a couple of 60's and 70's V8 Pontiac heads in the past, and they need a ton of work to get them raceworthy compared to these things, but the Quality of the casting on the old heads is far superior. The old heads combustion chambers were perfectly smooth whereas these things are like 40 grit sandpaper. Anyway, just rambling, got to get back to work...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Jul 17 2004, 10:06 AM
Wanna port a set of L36 heads, and gasket match them? How much :x

BTW, can you PM me about porting my L36 TB? You were going to do it a couple months ago, but you weren't ready or something. You never PMed my back...

James
I really don't want to get into porting heads, it takes far too long. I'd be more than happy to show you how, but check out Standard abrasives website on head porting and see how comfortable you feel with doing it. As far as the TB's go, I'm pretty much going to hang up my hat on it. I never even have time to work on my own car, but I have a L36 TB I'll finish up to get it out of here. I can make it mild or wild, but I'd suggest getting a mini-afc if you want a really opened up one.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jul 17 2004, 12:17 AM
Well, The ports on these things are actually pretty good, I'm just cleaning them up really. Maybe do a little gasket match. The only real problem with the ports is the short side radius has to be smoothed out. The bowls are really clean in these heads, hardly anything needs to be done to the guide areas. The big losses in these heads is in the combustion chamber. Big gains can be had in there. I started my work there first. The factory machines in a big ridge where the cast meets the seats. All the cast ares are a very rough finish also. This makes me happy and sad. Doing so much work in the combustion chamber area forces me to take the time to cc the heads now, so one extra step. All in all, it's a well designed head. I've done a couple of 60's and 70's V8 Pontiac heads in the past, and they need a ton of work to get them raceworthy compared to these things, but the Quality of the casting on the old heads is far superior. The old heads combustion chambers were perfectly smooth whereas these things are like 40 grit sandpaper. Anyway, just rambling, got to get back to work...
Good stuff man, I wonder what they flowed stock

I

imported_Ron Vogel

What I don't get is the machined lip around the valve. It sit's up about .125", and the valve lift is only .400ish. I used a stone to take it down then blended it into the chamber. When you run your finger along the air entry into the chamber stock, it feels like a mighty big restriction. Took me two days to port the one chamber since I'm trying to not gouge the seats. I may not get these on for a month. Hopefully I get faster at it, but I'm trying to be careful.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Yea, they flow rather well out of the box. I did alot of bowl work to mine. Especilly on the exhausts. I opened it up alot thus giving me my 89% intake to exhaust coefficientcy......

Also Ron, you can really take the floor of the exhaust floor down....But only if your running headers...Hence, headder mod...This should not be overlooked on a boosted engine....I radiused out the ex port to blend into the header...

Dont go crazy on the ex roof. There is a water jacket there.

You can pretty much grind down the bosses and a gasket match is worth 17%. Believe it or not.....

Im going nuts on my new set. Im going to try to get 250-220cfm....Then im getting a new custom ground cam and solid rollers...Next year. Im looking for a junk set to bandsaw up. Then you can really se the limitations of the water jackets.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by rob@Jul 18 2004, 11:51 AM
Yea, they flow rather well out of the box. I did alot of bowl work to mine. Especilly on the exhausts. I opened it up alot thus giving me my 89% intake to exhaust coefficientcy......

Also Ron, you can really take the floor of the exhaust floor down....But only if your running headers...Hence, headder mod...This should not be overlooked on a boosted engine....I radiused out the ex port to blend into the header...

Dont go crazy on the ex roof. There is a water jacket there.

You can pretty much grind down the bosses and a gasket match is worth 17%. Believe it or not.....

Im going nuts on my new set. Im going to try to get 250-220cfm....Then im getting a new custom ground cam and solid rollers...Next year. Im looking for a junk set to bandsaw up. Then you can really se the limitations of the water jackets.
Thanks for info. On the exhaust outlet, I'm reshaping the outlet to a d-port keeping the floor square. I figure on the short side radius there flowing slower, and increasing velocity in the roof to work with how I ported the ex manifolds. I'll gasket match the intakes then blend the bowls.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Yea take that floor down. You basiclly will reshape the exhaust outlet...Do some good work in the bowls and you gotcha a nice set of flowing heads. I also went into the whole port with an extended carbite bit and smoothed out and opened up the entire port..You can just go in and smooth it out until you cant see the casting marks anymore...Thats a decent rule of thumb...

You know Ron. Check out to see if the L32 are casted the same way as the L67's. They should be. But I dont want you going through floor. Maybe have them sonic checked there when you have the fluxed. Its not that $$$.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list