Oops... I need a clutch

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yep. I just got the damn thing running and now the clutch decided to give up. I guess after living most of its 150k mile life in Chicago rush hour traffic and then a turbo, it was to be slightly expected. I just hoped for a little more time.

The question is: What kit would any of you recommend? I don't want anything too grabby because this is meant to be a good A-B car, and I don't trust the T5 itself to survive too long anyway. Should I just get a cheapo stock replacement? Thanks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Man, with a t5, I don't think I would risk anything other than a stock clutch.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person with this mindset. Those T5s don't really appreciate a spirited driver with a stock car let alone one making up to 1.5x stock power. The clutch might act as a good fuse for catastophic trans failure. lol I found a kit on Summit that claims to be just a hair tougher than stock. It should be here on Tuesday.

The old parts got pulled out yesterday, and they looked awful. Are you manual guys just using GM bolts when reattaching everything? Reusing stock? The bolts are the only parts I haven't bought yet. The dealer said they can get them by Tuesday though.

fT458XF.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I had a couple buddies come over last night so we could knock this clutch job out. Everything bolted back together very smoothly, but when I felt the pedal there was a just a little bit of air that I wanted to bleed out. Then things didn't go smoothly anymore.

We started bleeding per the dealer manual's instructions, which is the same way you would bleed brakes. Then the mud started shooting out. Then nothing was coming out, then I didn't have a pedal.... One of my buddies was not familiar with the little reservoir seal that needs to be pulled out so he just poured fluid on top of that and let the system go dry. :picard:

Nothing I seemed to try from that point worked. I called another buddy who suggested that I try opening the bleeder first and then pressing the pedal down, but that seemed to just introduce more air. Do you guys have any tips or tricks for bleeding these suckers?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Perhaps, if you're doing the power tour, I would just replace the master. You definitely don't want problems like that when you're in the middle of that :rofl:

At this point, I'm probably not doing nearly as much of it as I hoped. I'm probably just going to the track in Indy and then going home. I don't trust this thing enough to not embarrass myself! There is a master at an O'Reilly's near my house though. I might as well try it.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I can't say I've ever heard of this method before, but it's worth a shot.

LT1 and LS1 clutch bleeding

I tried bleeding the master and line by pumping the pedal with a screw driver in the disconnect, but it still doesn't gush fluid. This tells me that the problem must be in the master whether it's just air or bad seals. I'll report back after I try this and a couple other things.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Damn, you were at Indy? I'm doing the long haul with my top swap Camaro.

Funny thing, guess what I'm fighting with right now?... The damn clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th under boost, and after a bunch of spirited driving in the hills outside of Bristol well 3rd does it too once it gets hot.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Damn, you were at Indy? I'm doing the long haul with my top swap Camaro.

Funny thing, guess what I'm fighting with right now?... The damn clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th under boost, and after a bunch of spirited driving in the hills outside of Bristol well 3rd does it too once it gets hot.

Yes, I was there. I was really bummed that I didn't find the 3800 crew until right as you all were rolling out. I don't remember the guys name, but the one with the Turbo 3800 G-body GP told me a while back that you all were doing the tour. I would have liked to talk to you all, but we were a bit late getting to the venue due to my misfire problem. That kind of stopped us from getting to find/see everything. Hopefully I'll get to catch you in the future.

No kidding! Sorry to hear that. Luckily these transmissions aren't too hard to wrestle. Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info