3800 Half-assed intercooler install

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Now that it's in and running I'm slightly ticked off with myself. <_<

So it occurs to me I really should have cut out the bottom of the supercharger housing as it appears to be a really big bottleneck for power. Is this the case or am I looking at false gains?

I also plan on lengthening the hole in the lower intake to allow flow from the entire IC core to enter the manifold.

Thoughts?

LP 3800

Addict
Nov 24, 2008
I probably had a 6" tall pile from aluminum that I chewed off the blower and intake manifold. I should have some pics if you would like to see them. I went to town on the blower. Maybe the ones you buy add a few more HP then what I did, but it saved me like $400.
But now that the IC has been installed, it is a lot faster to rip off. I can have mine off in about 15 minutes.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I am not understanding what you mean by cutting out the bottom of the SC? If you mean cutting it to the core size it's not a good idea. You may want to elongate the v-point a little, smoothe out the 2 square humps, and bevel the edge of the output to a 45 degree angle, but that's about it. The shape of the outlet conforms to the rotors, and the 2 slits in the outlet are to lower drag on the impellers from what I've been told.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure what you mean by thr bottle neck. You need to open up the lower manifold as Hale said...

Be very cautious if you intend to start modding your SCer cause you can ruin its effecientcy very quickly if you do something wrong. From my take on it. You sort of limited to what you can do.I believe most of the work being done is on the intake side of the SC.

LP 3800

Addict
Nov 24, 2008
You can hog out the left side of the SC opening(if you are looking at it from the front of the car). The side that goes toward the snout. If you notice, the rotors go behind a 1" wall that can be dug out. Just my opinion. I noticed a difference the day I did that. I also made a nice edge on the rotor side of all the egdes( about a 45* on the rotor side). I also dug out the intake side alot.
GTPHALE, please share the page with the pics, if you can remember where you saw it at on clubgp.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by gtphale@Jun 30 2004, 03:54 PM
all you can do on the sc output is smooth it out like it is machined. Also if you do a search on clubgp in the classified section Ed Morad has some pics of the stage 5 and gen 5 blowers with measurements they helped me port and polish mine big time.
Arent you are running a turbo?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info