3800 Need help with project.....

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Ok guys, letting my evil secret out.....im betraying the GTP name and switching to a turbo this summer. But I need help. I have been working on exchanging the SC and LIM for the LIM and UIM off the l36. So everythings bolted down. I have rerouted the vac lines, still using the l67 fuel rail and l67 sensors. But my car wont start...well it sort of will. The car will turn on, but not idle...at all. It sounds like it is attempting to idle, but just stumbles and dies. If I rev it up, i can run it as long as I want, but cant maintain a constant rpm. It is extremely touchy.

So the nitty gritty.... the map, boost gauge, and another vac line all share the same vac port on the back of the manifold. The evap and the fuel pressure share the same vac port off the TB. The brake booster has its own port on the back of the manifold. The l36 map sensor was used to plug the pcv system, but no wires were attached. Also, using the l36 pcv system, but do no have the tube inserted in the upper manifold.

OK....now let the suggestions begin....the sooner I get this car running, the sooner I get to put the turbo on. Thanx guys.

I

imported_snoop

sounds like a big ass vaccum leak, or one of the sensors is not plugged in or is bad, or the timing is off. did you take the motor apart at all. that tube doesnt really matter that much. what do you mean by there were no wires attached to the PVC system. that could be your problem right there if that is not plugged in. the gt and gtp are totally different map plugs so your gonna need another plug in that is not plugged in.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
The gt map sensor is what plugs in on the top of the pvc system, but I am using the gtp map because I will be boosting, and the gt map cant handle boost. I just went down to taking the lower manifold off. Didnt mess with timing. Also, I pulled the egr off. Is there any easy way to find the vac leak???? Especialy since it wont idle at all...... Thanx for the suggestions.....i have a good feeling its a vac leak, but wanted to check all options.....Now I just need to find it.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Nope, not the TPS. It was a vac leak....but not the egr. I forgot to fill in some gaps on the back of the l67 TB. The l36 TB is oval, and the l67 TB is circular. So the l36 manifold is oval and overlaps on some of those holes on the back of the l67 TB, which caused a gigantic vacuum leak. I was so pissed, because I read over the answer 4 or 5 times before it hit me..... It may be hard to understand, but its easy to understand if you compare the l67 TB with the l36 TB. Im sure Ron knows what im talking about ;)

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
i was thinking we could tear apart a stock rear mani, increase the size of the primary tubing, and just make a simple log type manifold up front.... I could do the grinding and tacking, i would just need another person to finish up the welds and make sure they are tight. Ill play with the idea this weekend. let me koww aht you think.\

BC
:ph34r:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info