Oil cooler for turbo cars

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So I want to run an engine oil cooler for my Grand Prix.

My turbo is only cooled by oil and I'm thinking it must be wreaking havoc on my engine oil temps especially on long trips and sitting in traffic. I'm planning on taking the car on power tour again this year and want to make sure everything stays as cool as possible.

I'm also hoping the cooler thick oil would help boost the oil pressure some on on a hot day. My oil pressure seems like it's too low once the engine is warm and it sounds like the new LS7 lifters are ticking at idle because of it.
Also IIRC some series 1 cars had them from the factory soooo...

I'm looking at this cooler and I'm noticing that the fittings on the sandwich adapter are only 3/8" of an inch. I know our pumps kinda suck though so I'm wondering if that would be enough?

Anyone here ever run a cooler on theirs and notice any difference in pressure?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
That looks cheep. I wouldn’t touch a kit with barbed fittings. Sandwich adapters just add another possible leak point also. I had a car back in the 80’s that a system like that failed. Never again, spun 6 bearings.

The oil filter housing bolts onto that block. Someone must make a fitting plate for it. Better off using a plate, terminated hoses, a remote filter housing, and oil cooler. With a remote oil filter you could also use a much larger filter than stock so you can eliminate the bypass

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
No ideas what temperatures yet. I'm going to add a gauge this year but I can't imagine they're very good since the turbo relies on oil for all of its cooling.

It is definitely a cheap kit. I get that the barb fittings might not be the most reliable too. I've never had a problem with them though as long as i'm using the EFI style clamps. The adapter has pretty standard fittings though so if I decide I need to spend $300 on AN hoses and fittings down the road though then that would be a simple switch.
I'm not really worried about the oil filter size. I'm using the larger PF52 filter right now anyway and there's tons of room in this car:
HM1deIJ.jpg

Really old picture btw

If I need to replace the oil filter adapter deal though instead of using a sandwich adapter I suppose I could probably fab something for cheap. I'm sure nobody makes shit for these things

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I’ve made them before, usually pretty straightforward . Just need some aluminum, a saw, and a drill press. Having a Bridgeport would be a big plus. No need for expensive AN fittings . Hydraulic hoses would work, an add some fire sleeve to keep the heat off.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
For oil pressure, have you done the spring mod to increase the pressure it opens? That's a great mod to do if you haven't done it.

If you're planning on doing power tour, you really should look into something more reliable than barb fittings. There's a company near Batavia that will make you hydraulic hoses to whatever size you want. They'll both cost you about $150, but they will never fail. That piece of mind for something that will never leave you stranded or out of oil should be worth that small amount of money. I can get you more information on Monday, I have sent a bunch of people there after they made hoses for me. AN stuff works, but I like factory/OE style hoses for anything on my cars that isn't OE. Never have to worry about it.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I guess I'll have to put some more thought into it then.
There's a lot of things I want to change for it this year so I'll have to figure out what my priorities are.
I've definitely had my fair share of doing things one direction initially and learning that there were much better methods down the road if you can think outside the box a little.
If I can avoid that this time that'd be good :rofl:

I did do the spring mod and am running the 5w30 oil recommended for the series 3's. I honestly don't really think it makes that much of a difference though outside of cold starts. I have it done on my 99 Regal too though.

I'm located closer to the Detroit area these days but I appreciate the thought. I should be able to get an estimate from the local shop that made my A/C hoses though. AN fittings wouldn't really be that terrible though I guess. They do look nice at least lol

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well AN stuff you can do at home, and it's a good choice, usually very reliable if done right, which again, is something you can do at home and it's pretty easy. The -10 which I would recommend isn't that expensive for like 10ft, which should be plenty for you, it's the damn fittings that break the wallet. BUT, it's reliable, and with the power tour, that should be your first priority, because a tow home will probably cost more than a reliable setup and more, right? :rofl: Either way, I look forward to your power tour post and pictures, what you've done is entertaining. I love the thread updates! :bigthumb:

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've got an oil pressure and temp gauge on my turbo prix, L67. The temps hover at 200-202 consistently. Running with a 180* t stat. But also no condenser up front so engine stays extra cool. I have never heard or read of anyone putting an oil cooler on a 3800.

Oil pressure will bounce around but stay within 45-55 when cruising. Up to 70+ on cold starts. Idle is around mid-30s.

If anyone remembers I picked up that blue Turbo Prix back in October. After the GTP I spent years restoring gave up. Sourcing an N/A engine for it now... Anyways, interesting thing, previous owner of turbo prix ran Rotella T6 5w 40. So I've continued that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info