3800 IC Heat Exchanger

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yes, I drilled out the spot welds holding it in place. The only problem then is that it flexes toom much, so at speed the hood bounces, and when you try and shut the hood it has problems latching. I cut out some sheet metal and welded it to the sides of the latch mount, and a small piece to reinforce the part by the bolts to the front. It stiffened it up enough to fix it. My big problem was that I had to completely remove the portion where the ABS plastic piece mounts to it, so I made braces from my bumper support to my bumper cover to hold it in place. It took me longer to mount the rad and build all the custom stuff there than it did to actually install the IC itself. Sorry, no Pics...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Actually, it's kind of slow today at work. If you want to check out what I did, it might save you some time. I work up in Itasca if you are in the area, I could escape out of here for a few minutes to an hour. Right by Thorndale and 290.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Mike K@Jun 28 2004, 12:31 PM
Ron, would you mind calling me? I don't mind coming up.

847-217-5808
Left you a message, or call me on my direct line 630-875-8594. BTW, my exchanger is as big as will physically fit in heigth. Fortunately, it made it easy to mount at the bottom. It's out of a early '90s Mercury Capri turbo. Simple top/bottom tank rad, 1 1/4" hose mounts, no tranny cooler lines. 1 core aluminum with plastic tanks, roughly 19.5 tall x 25-26 wide x 2 thick.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Update

The pump is in as well as the radiator. I tried to get a radiator that was relatively compact in size (88' Festiva) so that I could try to sit it on one side of that center support brace. That did not pan out so I was forced to cut the bracket. Much to my surprise, after reinstalling everything (minus the center brace) there seems to be no loss in structural integrity. The bad part is that my radiator is leaking. :)

Now that I have that brace out and know I can use the space I am going to return that radiator and get a larger unit.

While I was hoping to have it done tonight at least I know I'll have it done tomorrow. I am excited. Anyone have a 3.0 they want to sell? I feel like boost stacking!

Ron, thanks for coming out. You were more helpfull than you know.

FWIW, I made a bracket and bolted it onto the supercharger to hold that fuel rail down. It's not going anywhere now. All that's left is to get the pump wired up and the coil packs raised...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

When wiring up the pump, use an automotive relay. I used a radishack one, and mounted it by the washer fluid fill. There are two empty fuse slots in the fuse center in the glove box. one is batt, and one is switched ign. It's a good place to tap to trigger the relay. You'll definately want a relay, since the pump pulls 7 amps at start up, and 5 continous. It's funny that your rad leaked too. Stupid boneyard...At least it was cheap, I got mine to seal after I got back from Cordova.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• M
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list