3800 Inspiration

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Well....the problems keep mounting on the Turbo STE, as I don't have much time to work on them aside from a weekend here and there, and that's if I have nothing else to do and it's not raining. So far, I managed to do the Ignition Control Module, and all 3 coils. Nothing fancy, just brand new OEM Delcos. These are a severe pain, as the coil pack is UNDER the exhaust manifold on the old 60* V-6s, but after much cursing and some lost skin, I got them on there. I was hoping it would smooth out the spurratic acceleration, but no go (I intended on changing all these parts regardless, but it would have been nice if it had helped). Last weekend, I put in the new AC Delco Rapidfires (old, pre-platinum ones; someone off the TGP club had a set that he didn't need) and just some generic wires. I just won some custom fit 8 mm MSD helicoils (didn't even know they made them for this engine :eek: ), so I'll be swapping them out again. Well, I actually only got the front 3 done. Didn't have any assistance to rock the motor forward to get to the back 3. The old ones were some pretty pathetic looking Champions. They gapped at over .60, where as the new ones for the turbo 3.1 are usually set at .35, so slight problem there. It seemed to spool and pull harder in those little moments it has when something is not restraining the acceleration, even with just the front 3 done.

As if it's not enough that I haven't gotten everything overhauled engine wise, yet, now the ABS has developed an internal leak, and the whole mastercylinder has to be replaced. Not that it's ever cheap, but the old school ABS units were VERY expensive. Try....$2,000 from the dealer expensive, and the cheapest aftermarket rebuild coming in at $900. So....with the way the car was running to begin with, now having expensive brake issues (which my former daily driver, one of the AWDs, also has) is just a weeeee bit frustrating. Like almost makes you want to give in, "screw old cars; Acura TL, here I come!" type frustrating.

But then....

A glimmer of hope. One of the guys who has swapped a 5-speed 284 into his TGP made a video of a little inspirational run to 100 mph....

Click and save, please :D

Well....for the time being, that's enough to keep me pushing on. This is the whole reason I bought these cars. To completely take people by suprise, and scare the bejesus out of unsuspecting, expensive car owners. Must....get....there.....

Now let's see, what's next: Exhaust all the way through (clogged cat can't help), crank sensor, TPS, 02 sensor, installing the fuel injectors Justin cleaned, new FPR...........

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• RareGMFan
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list