3800 TURBO kit

First off if you have $4K to spend, don't waste it on this. Cause if you do get the 65% more HP that your tranny will take a sh*t, and you motor ill be running on borrowed time if it is indeed stock. Upgrades like that require custom tuning, and custom design, no matter how easy they say it is to "bolt on".

If you are looking for th cheapest bang for your buck nitrous is about it. Even then you are pushing it alittle. If I had $4k and was serious start from ground 1 and build it up right to support whatever will be thrown at it. Start with proven things such as cam and heads that will not only crate power but also reduce potential knock problems. Get the air in fast and get it out fast (intake and exhaust). Lastly then support the system that propels you (built uptrans and tires). Then go shopping for a upraded SC, or turbo system. Until then nothing comes easy for cheap. That system looks interesting but looks like a overpriced tornado to me.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I would be extremely concerned about spool times on a setup like that. I don't see why they are trying to correct a non-existent problem by remotely mounting the turbo. It's much easier, IMO, to plumb 4 - 5 ft of hose than to plumb 15+ft.

It really doesn't even look good in concept. Has it been implemented on a car?

I checked out the LT1 pics and really question the tight bend and reduced diameter of the pipe feeding the driven side. This seems like a major restriction. I agree that it doesn't look very practical.

I thought turbos were to mounted about as close out of the exhaust manifolds as possible since hotter gases create more velocity to drive the turbo and reduce lag or spool up time.

Can you imagine how quickly that K&N gets dirty? I think the filter wrap is there for a good reason.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
if you read what i was saying in that thread, it will work. it wont be as efficient, but it works. STS has proven it. the reason behind the kit is the difficulty of installing a turbo on an LS1. It was a solution to a problem. Maybe not a great one, but one that helps people that dont want to worry about emissions.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info