3800 Long trips in Modded GTP's

markymarc

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
Given the mods in your cars, has anyone driven long distances (4 hours or more) and what was the result? Can anyone educate me on the dangers or not of driving modded cars for a long period of time?

I ask because in August we travel to Ontario for musky fishing. This translates into a 13 hour drive with about 3 or 4 stops. The last thing I want is to break down in the middle of nowhere.

Right now all of my driving is short term and local, so I have no idea what to look for.

I am going to get a tranny cooler and drive some of the trip with the DHP off if that helps.

Thanks for any advice/assistance.

My car has been driven from IL to TX then from TX to IL and back again.

No problems. Had to fill up 3 times cost bout $80

Very comfortable ride. Much better then my dads Ford Ranger that I took to Texas as my trans was being rebuilt.

I drove up to IL on the DHP pcm and then back down to TX w/ the CYA pcm. No problems w/ either.

I like to carry spare belts and a jug of water just incase.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Your gas miles my suffer some.....More likely with steeper gears...3.29-3.96..But as long as your tunned you shouldnt have any problems at all.
Later model FI cars run good. You could drop your pulley size down to avoid the excess heat.
Tranny cooler is ok too if your towing or have a stall speed. Its a good investment anyway. Keep it cool.

I

imported_Theautoguy

I've driven the Regal with pulley's, DHP, trans cooler, shift kit and more 13 hours each way to Pennsylvania and back as well as Minnesota too. No problems at all. I even had my sister-in-law chanting "Sssuupper Charrrgerr" from every toll booth!

sgtp

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
bring some ear plugs since you have exhaust mods. My full exhaust work is not bad cruising at 70, but 6 hours of it leaves your ears ringing for twenty minutes or so when you finally stop. Ringing ears isnt so bad, but your passengers will apperciate them if they want to take a nap....

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
youll be fine. I have driven up to the UP a few times to go fishing in the prix. Be sure to take some time out from fishing to enjoy the roads. A lot of variation in the roads makes a fun drive. I havea few roads i always go to. drive them once or twice to make sure it is clear then spend the next hour or so racing up and down them just ahving fun. Best part of taking a modded car on a road trip. :D

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info