3800 What to do

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im experiencing valve float at the top of my RPM band with the INTENSE rockers. Im going to have to change my springs now.

Which is better for the job?? The CC 105 springs?? Or the LS1/LS6 springs?? I also wanna know which is cheaper since Im poor. LOL.

Also, while Im at it again, think changing the pushrods would be good as well??

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Fish,

I'll let you know after Sunday when Alex installs the LS6 springs in my car...

When I emailed Scott from Intense about my valve float problem, he told me 105#'ers would work fine on just a rockered car, unfortunately I didnt have the money to spend at the time for the 105#'ers or else I would have purchased them. You might want to email him to verify if they'll work fine in a GT however!

I purchased a set of LS6 springs and LS1/LS6 retainers for 98$ from GMPartsdirect

Thanks,

Joel
'99 GTP

sgtp

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
no valve float up to 120mph. :eek: so yeah they work great! I ended up using the stock retainers which fit the springs just fine. Anyone want my ls1 retainers?

I thought about tracking down more valve spring sets from when vette guys upgrade, but Id need 2 more sets off v8s to turn it into 3 sets of 12 for us v6s and thats too much work....its easier buy 8 more from gmpd, but then youd want to test the spring tension...ah forget it <_< :)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by sgtp@Jun 2 2004, 01:27 PM
no valve float up to 120mph. :eek: so yeah they work great! I ended up using the stock retainers which fit the springs just fine. Anyone want my ls1 retainers?

I thought about tracking down more valve spring sets from when vette guys upgrade, but Id need 2 more sets off v8s to turn it into 3 sets of 12 for us v6s and thats too much work....its easier buy 8 more from gmpd, but then youd want to test the spring tension...ah forget it <_< :)
Ahh, you were doing that at the mod day. I remember now.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember the part number from GMPD???

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Fish, I run 90lb springs with my stage 2 cam. I also shift at 6500rpm with no valve float at all...

You have to remember, going with the highest lb springs is NOT the best way to go. You will experience more valve train wear, it will become unreliable if your motor cant handle it, and you will lose a LOT of torque. In fact, you should probably go with the lightest you can w/o valve float, and 90 is plenty for a GT - esp. only a rockered one.

Valve float will be a huge loss of power, backfires, and a weird sound i have no way to describe in text. I would sell you my 90lb ones fish, but i'm pretty happy with them for now...and until i get new lifters and lightweight pushrods :)

sgtp

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
Ive heard ls1 are ~75lb and ls6 are ~85lb...this coming from someone that used the special tool to test the pressure of valve springs.

You have to remember, going with the highest lb springs is NOT the best way to go. You will experience more valve train wear, it will become unreliable if your motor cant handle it, and you will lose a LOT of torque. In fact, you should probably go with the lightest you can w/o valve float, and 90 is plenty for a GT - esp. only a rockered one

good advice...Ive heard of ppl running the vs cam with ls6 springs w/ no probs...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info