3800 Fuel Pump Hot wire/re-wire mod?

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Hey guys, I was just wondering when this mod is helpful? Is it only worth it if you have a high hp engine, or will it help any GTP? Also, what is the difference between the Techedge one and the Caspers one?

Also, I thought I remember people talking about a kit to bypass the fuel pump resistor? Am I crazy.....if not where can I find this kit also. Thanx.

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
So has anyone actually tried the techedge one?
I installed one a few weeks back. The install is cake. You have to cut a wire behind the passenger kick-panel, cap one end and connect the other end to the TechEdge kit. From there you route the wire harness to the fuel pump where it is plug-n-play. Then just attach your ground.

Casper's kit by far appears to be a better made product. But from what I've read it is overkill. The TechEdge kit addresses the weak link in the factory wiring, and also bypasses the fuel pump resistor (as does Caspers).

I was mainly price driven when I did this mod. I just couldn't spend twice the money for the same outcome. Also, I like the fact that the TechEdge wiring is isolated inside the car, whereas Casper's kit runs outside along the frame rail.

Will this one work well on a stock pump?
Yes. What this kit is doing is increasing the voltage to the fuel pump. This increases fuel flow a bit and helps get consistent fuel delivery to the injectors.
Will this allow the stock pump to handle more hp?
Exactly.

This rewire mod helped me out with some KR on the top end. I also installed a couple of grounding straps which helped a bit. The mod is worth it. At the very least it is peace of mind not having to wonder if your fuel resister is going to take a crap one day and leave you stranded. You could always carry a spare though.

There isn't much to the TechEdge kit, and when you compare it to Casper's kit with probably twice as many components, it is easy to see why there is such a price difference. They both work though, which is all that really matters.

Casper's kit runs outside along the frame rail.

Our kit can be run inside the vehicle as well. It is designed to run outside the vehicle and be completely weather/water proof but you can run it any way you see fit. The main difference is that ours is 100% plug-n-play. There are no wires to cut and it uses a sealed fuse and relay. We design over 99% of our products to be plug and play that way if you decide to remove it, it is simple and the wiring can be returned to 100% stock form.

If you would like to see our kit in person, stop by the shop any time. I will replay to your PM today.

;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info