Turbo guys

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
I ran and for now, still run a stock MAF with a mini AFC.

I already knew others went near 9s on em, so why not me.

One less coupler to fiddle fart with also.

Plus only had 2.5" IC pipes.. So trying to ramp up to 4" MAF and then back down to the stock TB coupling just wasn't worth it for me.

I may revisit it again on the new setup eventually.. Only running 10psi right now on the 7675... if things start getting harry on the AFC scaling as
there is a "limit" on how far you really want to scale... so if it gets funky, I will have to start looking into the 4" MAF eventually, but at least I have 3" IC pipes now so bit better on the ramp up size.

I think issues with MAF pre turbo was partly being able to account for BOV? ... MAF says X air flow and engine gets Y air flow. I know of at least 1 car that tried this in the early days and
car would shut off all the time... maybe intense white car? i forget.

I don't think anyone has a pre-turbo MAF setup. What power numbers are you going for? For simplicity's sake, just stick with a stock maf and scale it VIA HPT or with AFC.

Im not going for huge power. Id like around 350whp. Just a fun daily driver. I feel like the blower just doesnt complement a FWD car. Blows the tires off then once you have traction, its created so much heat, it has KR and kills power. Its fun for burnouts and chipping pistons, but thats it really. At least for me. haha

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Im not going for huge power. Id like around 350whp. Just a fun daily driver. I feel like the blower just doesnt complement a FWD car. Blows the tires off then once you have traction, its created so much heat, it has KR and kills power. Its fun for burnouts and chipping pistons, but thats it really. At least for me. haha

The TQ band in a turbo car is suuuuuuper strong, it'll blow the tires off, but the top end is never ending and turbo's are like 100000x easier to tune. At 350whp you don't need to over-complicate anything. Just use the stock maf and scale it with your tuner. What's all done? Stock? It really just needs to be stock to make that power all day.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Tuning wise turbo is so much nicer.... in a since my turbo turd not much is
really changed on the engine tune side of things. This may be to cooler temps and better intercooling allowing for
a better running setup... ?

"A lot" of M90 guys seem to get hooked on tweaking every table they can... ive been guilty.

For the turbo turd, to drive it around and have some fun, like 4.. 5 tables touched and car was scary :)

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Haha, i've just started gathering parts. I have headers now, so i found a set of stock manifolds and a crossover, im going to try and make my own turbo crossover using the stock one. I dont think it will be too hard.

Hardest part is getting the turbo in good place while also having good room
to route the downpipe around everything... removing ABS and smaller brake booster helps make room :)

Advise to have a "Test" pipe or two tack welded to a flange, and put that
on the turbo out side, when test fitting the crossover. that way make sure
not in a crappy downpipe bind.

Speaking from personal experience on my old build :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info