3800 To the welders out there

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
I have a question for you. I only have a small, 110v mig welder. i don't have the cash to get a gas setup right now. What i need to know is whether or not i can weld aluminized steel with a flux core setup. if so, is there any particular type of wire i need to use. I just have the spool that came with the welder. (obviously im somewhat new at this.) thanks for the help.

BC

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
No get the right wire and gas or you'll be sorry. The flux core will make a mess. Its a dirty weld. I welded up my DP with it and it was a mess. :angry: You may want to tack everything in place with the flux core then take it off and have it all tigged up.

OR

I cant remember but you may need different wire and gas for aluminized metal. Call you local welding shop...1# of wire is cheap and you may be able to rent a tank of gas....Call around...I dont think you'll have much success with the flux core though.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
thats what i was afraid of. Im not concerend with the cost of the wire, i know it isn't that expensive. The issue is taht i dont have the hook up needed to run gas, and cant afford it right now. I would MUCH rather use gas. Do you know of any welding stores in the naperville/dg area? If not, where do you go.

BC

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Terrace welding supply in Lombard, I go to them for a lot of stuff. If you are doing a single project, you may just want to rent one. I have a little Lincoln electric welder that runs off of 110, with a gas set-up. It's really handy, but it's whimpy. To do good welds, you really need a higher powered set-up. Even with gas, I have a hard time getting good (clean welds). I use a wire That works with or without the gas, but I had to modify my welder to fit the giant spool on (it only comes in 10# and above). Even when you pop for a gas set-up, the conversion kits come with a 20# bottle and it doesn't last too long. So you constantly need to fill it at 20-30 bucks a pop. Many of the welding supplies will lease or rent bottles that are larger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list